SWISCO Handle

A quick learner from Maryland says:
Good Afternoon,

I have a SWISCO handle on my sliding door. The handle that unlocks & locks the doors is broken. I am wondering if someone can tell me what I am needing to replace this handle. Do I need the entire set or just a handle. Thank you for help on this.

VR
Dustin
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4464.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4465.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4466.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Dustin. Remove the handle set from the door and then try manually 'throwing' the lock with a slotted screwdriver. If it doesn't budge, then the mortise lock is what has to be replaced. See our 82-238. Otherwise, or if the handle set seems damaged, see our 82-080 or keyed 82-081. Let me know if you have any other questions. 

Bob, you stated " Remove the handle set from the door and then try manually 'throwing' the lock with a slotted screwdriver." Even if the handle is loose in the sense that it goes up and down as if broken, what you stated could possibly still work?

VR
Dustin
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Dustin. This is really just a test to see if the mortise lock isn't what broke first and what in turn caused the lever on your handle set to break. If you mean by 'up and down' that the thumb lever just feels loose and useless, it's possible its spindle snapped due to the mortise lock itself not budging. So, if you remove the handle set and try activating the lock with the screwdriver, and if the lock doesn't budge, then you know you need to replace the lock as well. Otherwise, either of the handle sets I mentioned should work for you. Let me know if that makes sense. 

Just wanted to say thank you for your recommendations. They were spot on and it all works now. I was really worried i would have to replace the whole door.

VR
Dustin
Profile picture of Bob

That's great news! I'm glad everything worked out. Thanks so much for the business and please don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any further assistance.

How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.