Sash keeps closing....

A handy person from the midwest says:
I have a four windows in which the sash keeps falling......

The hinge piece is nominally 5/8 in by 1 1/4.....(length is 1 7/8 in).......it's a fairly tight fit in the track .......
The sash has a 10# by 35 coil spring on each side for a total of twenty pounds ......Looks very similar to your model S160 ........
The sash weights 38 pounds so it want to close ......!
Can you help me find the right coil spring setup to fix this problem ......?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230707_154346010.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out! I am confident that we can supply you with the replacements you need for your balance assembly however, before we move forward, I'll need to confirm one detail.

It appears you have (2) 10lb coils in the window which would indicated that the sash should weigh 20lbs however, you've also confirmed that the sash weighs 38lbs. Can you please confirm the exact sash weight?

A handy person from the midwest says:

Sorry ..... the sash weighs 28 lbs not 38 lbs ......

it weighs 8 lbs more than the combined spring force of 20 lbs ......

(10 lbs per side)

Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for confirming. The difference in the amount of weight the coils can hold and the weight of the sash is likely why the sash keeps falling. The 20lb coils are not enough to support the entire weight of your window.

Detail of 15-252
Detail of 15-252

Given the weight of your window, you'll need the 15-252 Inverted Universal Dual Support. These are compatible with the Series 160 coil balance spring. Since your sash weighs 28lbs I recommend (1) S160-6 and (1) S160-7 for both sides of the window.

The compatible mounting clip is part 16-032.

Dimensions for 16-032
Dimensions for 16-032

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.