Self window repair

A quick learner says:

I need help identifying each part in each photo that is attached. Both top and bottom windows need replacement parts for being held up and the metal foot that rotates the metal shoe.

I believe this is the window brand logo, I can't find any identifying number or name for it

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Balance Assembly
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil Pivot Shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Pivot Bar
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Tilt Latch
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Your pivot shoe appears to be an older discontinued version our 15-177. To determine if this replacement will work for you, you'll need to remove your existing shoe from the window and compare the dimensions to those shown below.

Alternate image for 15-177
Alternate image for 15-177

This shoe is compatible with the 1/2" thick Series 152 coil balance springs. This spring is secured to the shoe using the 33-072 screw. 

To determine the correct spring strength for a particular sash, you'll need to look for any stamps/markings on the metal coil(s) in the window. If there are no stamps/markings or they are hard to read, you'll need to obtain the exact weight of your sash. Once you have the sash weight, you'll divide it by the number of coils in the window.

You may also need the 15-143 Coil Bushing, the 15-144 Coil Bushing Cap, and the 15-145 Coil Support Barrel.

A quick learner says:
My windows are not vinyl and are made of medal and do not have any cutout or anyway to remove both pivot shoes. Is cutting the metal the only way to remove the shoes?

Yes, that is correct; cutting the metal would be the only way to remove the shoes. You'll need to use a heavy duty snip to cut into the material.

I hope this helps!

A quick learner says:
Got them out! Both the front coil balance springs have a letter "F" imprinted on them, not sure which coil balance it can be. The other window has two coil balances and has the letters "C L" imprinted in it as well. What coils do I choose to replace these with? Also which pivot bars would work with the suggested coil balance shoe you mentioned? I measured them and its a perfect match.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6525.jpg?ex=66299431&is=662842b1&hm=708ca83cec1db5834d346ba849f2444dc72cb2c70158d74e2c99d59556fde292&
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6528.jpg?ex=66299431&is=662842b1&hm=9f004ffcae047eddc2ca29c602b17d18922f9e38b10f5c57f8ee1104379f85bf&

Great! I'm glad to see you were able to remove them from the window. Although, I'm sorry to say those stamps do not provide any indication on what the strength of the spring would need to be. You'll need to obtain the exact weight of your sash. Once you have the sash weight, you'll divide it by the number of coils in the window; this number will give you the strength for the Series 152 spring you need.

A quick learner says:
Okay I disassembled each piece for both windows, I want to make sure I get the correct pieces for both windows, also my windows each weigh 17 pounds on a normal scale and I'm still trying to figure out which coil springs I will need for the single and double coil.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6535.jpg?ex=662c46ce&is=662af54e&hm=bf00ffb9c50c000c293f82aedfdee208f77cb8f01d7831577693637d0d423956&=&format=webp&width=503&height=671

Okay, great! So, since the sash weighs 17lbs, I would suggest using the S152-9 Coil Balance. You would only need one per assembly; they will support a sash weight up to 18lbs.

As mentioned, the springs are determined by the weight of the sash. If you have a double coil, that is likely not the same weight as the sash with a single coil.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.