Simonton double hung tilt in windows

A quick learner from Omaha says:
The windows are in a state of disrepair. Broken shoes and coils. Would like to replace the coils and pivot shoes.
We have 10 sashes. 5 x 25lbs (these appeared to have two coils like this one) 3 x 33.5lbs and 2 x 32.5lbs (these have 3 coils on each side)
Would replace both sides as recommended. Please advise what parts needed.
They are 3/4". Some are marked 407J and some 406.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230311_153113.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230311_153106.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230311_153054.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

Take a look at the video below that shows the parts that we recommend to replace your Simonton coil assembly, as well as demonstrates the replacement process. 

You'd divide the sash weight by the number of coils you intend to use on each side to support it to choose the correct strength options. I would recommend using two S159-6 springs for the 25-pound sash. For the 32-1/2 pound sash, I would use a S159-8 and S159-7 on each side. For the larger 33-1/2 pound sash, one S159-9 and S159-7 on each side would work. Don't worry about the two larger windows using two coils originally. The spring strength is more important than the number of coils used. Thank you!  

Is that two coils on each side of the 25 lb sash? 4 for each sash? Does that mean I need 4 coil supports for each window?
Trying to figure out how many of each to order.
In other words do two 6.5 lb springs hold a 25lb sash. Double checking. Thanks.
Profile picture of Casey

Correct, you would use two S159-6 coils on each side to support a 25-pound sash. A total of four coil springs. 

Is there a video to show how to use two coils on each side? Directions on how to assemble etc?
Profile picture of Casey

Sure, you would follow the same video that we included in our original response but you would install an extra S159-6 coil and 15-255 on top to attach to the opposite side of the pivot shoe. 

I have received the parts and I am unable to manipulate the coils to put one on each side of the pivot shoe. I am afraid I might bend or break something in the process. Can the second coil be attached into the slot on the first coil.
Profile picture of Casey

I'm sorry for the confusion. You are correct that you can attach the T end of the top coil to the small opening at the base of the first coil. 

One more question. Which tilt latches work for these windows.
Thanks
Profile picture of Casey

We can't determine which latches your window uses based on the balance hardware but we would be happy to look into this for you as well. We would need to see photos of an undamaged tilt latch uninstalled, along with written-out dimensions, to compare to our inventory. 

Without removing it, it measures 5/8" × 2 5/8"
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230402_113727.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

Thanks for getting back to us. I would recommend removing your latch to compare to the specifications of the 26-243 and 26-244 shown below. If the dimensions match yours, then you should be good to go.

Alternate view of 26-244
Alternate view of 26-244

Profile view of 26-244
Profile view of 26-244

How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.