Simonton Coil Balance/Replacement

A home owner from Indiana says:
I need to replace several coil balance springs on my Simonton windows, they are from 2005, I believe. I can't see a part number on it, but it looks like there are 3 coils inside the cover. Can you recommend a replacement? Please let me know if there is something more that I could provide. I am pretty handy and regularly do home repair projects, from your videos, this looks very manageable. I have a number of windows that need repair, I would like to try out 1 or 2 before ordering a full set. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1581.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1580.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! I feel confident that we can help you replace this balance system, yes. However I'm going to need a couple more photos before I say anything for sure.

To start, I'll need you to remove the sash from the widow and show me a clear picture of the pivot shoe. This is a square or rectangular block directly under the cover you show in your second photo. The springs connect to the shoe, and then the shoe connects to the sash, allowing it to tilt. Seeing it with an unobstructed view would be ideal.

You will also need to remove the springs in order to both measure them and get the stamp printed on the metal band. You don't necessarily have to do this now, since the pivot shoe alone should be sufficient for me to narrow down the list of possibilities, but you will need to do it before you place an order. I may be able to narrow it down without that data, but you would still have to choose from a selection.

Here is the picture of the pivot shoe, I am a bit hesitant to pull the cover off of the spring until I need to, but can do so if needed.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1610.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! I recognize this pivot shoe. This is compatible with two different sizes: either the 1/2" thick Series 160 or the 3/8" thick Series 165.

You will need to remove the original before you place an order; there's no getting around that, unfortunately. it has to be done. Reason being that you need to both measure the spring to determine which of those two options is correct, and check the stamp to determine the appropriate weight rating.

That said, I may be able to at least save you one of those steps. I'm thinking you have the skinnier Series 165 due to the shape of your plastic cover, which resembles our 15-204. Now, I don't know this for a fact, so you may still want to double check just to be safe, but I think odds are good. Either way, you still need to remove the old spring to check the stamp, so you may as well measure it while it's out.

Please look these parts over and let me know if you needed anything else.

The pivot shoe us 1/2 inch. The spring looks to be 3/8 inch. The number in the back of the spring are : #5 35" P. Under that, there is a f232208. There were 3 springs in the entire assembly. Is this what you needed?

Thanks for the help.
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for clarifying, that information is very helpful!

For a 3/8" spring with a #5 stamp, you want our S165-5. These are rated to carry 5 pounds each, so if you have three per side then you're dealing with a 30 pound sash. You may want to check that just to be 100% sure. That's a somewhat heavy load for this type of spring but not at all unheard of. I just like playing it safe.

As for the cover, for a triple 3/8" spring assembly I'd suggest the 15-205.

Hi!

I finally got around to replacing the parts in the window this morning, things worked ok. Before I do the next one, I think that it would be best if I got some new pivot shoes as well. Can you tell me the part number for this as well? I think that it would be good if I replaced these as well.

Thanks, Jim
Profile picture of Tom

Great! I'm glad that you got things working again. Regarding this pivot shoe, my recommendation would be the 15-199. I feel confident that this will work for you, but be sure to review our dimensions to verify. Note that the thickness is 9/16", which is not reflected in this diagram.

Alternate view of 15-199
Alternate view of 15-199

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.