Single hung non tilting window balance hardware

A home owner from Lakeland Fl says:
There is not any markings on the balance. The only paper label on the window is series; 1100/1450 SH AAMA/NWWDA 101/I.S/2/97. H-R40-44X84. H-R40-88
User submitted photos of window hardware.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Thanks for posting! What is the diameter of the outer tube? If it's 3/8", I recommend our Series 400 spiral balance. If it's 5/8" or 9/16", I recommend our Series 500 instead. See what you think!
A home owner from Tampa, fL says:
I have the same windows with the spiral balance. The diameter of the outer tube is 3/8". So, I will look at your Series 400 spiral balance. My question: Is there supposed to be some kind of bracket the holds the end of the spiral balance? In a video I saw, one side of the bracket clasps on to the spiral balance and then it is screwed to the underside of the window to hold the bracket in place. See attached image of bracket I saw on the internet. None of my windows have anything holding the bottom of the spiral bracket. See the other two attachments of my windows. Were they installed wrong or is a bracket not needed to hold the end spiral balance?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bracket.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Bracket2.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200401_080110.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200402_182714.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Hello! Your window does have a bracket, in fact. I can see it in your fourth photo. It's that U shaped piece of metal between the sash and the jamb track. Unlike the bracket you found in that video, which mounts under the sash with a screw, yours mounts to the side of the sash with a screw. It's probably something like our 17-010, for example.

These brackets can be frustrating to deal with. Making sure the balance tip snaps in properly is easier said than done. It's tough to get an angle but it is possible. Just have a friend hold the sash up while you get under there with a tool like our 75-005. With a little bit of contortion you should be able to get in there. 

A home owner from Tampa, fL says:
Am I forced to use a bracket that tucks into the side jamb or can I change it to one that screws under the sash like the video shows? Lastly, it appears that there is no way to remove the sash from the track. I've removed both spiral balances. I cant even shift the sash to the side to then pop out one side and pull it out. There are no clips or locks along the track. It seems I have to remove the entire window frame from the wall. Does this seem right or perhaps there is some other trick to get the sash out?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200405_163103.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200401_081033.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20200401_080110.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Unfortunately, there is no way to remove this type of sash. The window manufacturer figured that if anything breaks, you'd just buy a new window entirely. This window isn't meant to be repaired.

We don't think that's fair, so we do offer replacement parts for it. Installing them can be tricky but it is possible. To replace the balance, for example, you'll need to pull it up and out of the sash from the top and put the new balance in the same way.

You also aren't able to convert the type of bracket you have. You're pretty much stuck with this one, unfortunately. I know it's a hassle but that's just how these windows are made. They want you to spend money on a whole new window so they don't want to make it easy for you.

How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.