Spiral Balance springs and bracket replacments

A quick learner from NIceville Florida says:

Hi

I had both balance springs fail on a window that had not been opened for a long time. Both came loose at the sash connection.

The balance springs I have have are 30 inches long and 3/8 inch in diameter

and have orange tips. The springs have a flat blade on the tip with two perforations. one of the failed springs had a cross piece of metal in the blade perforations.

I do not have brackets that mount to the bottom of the window like are shown in your help video, so I am not sure how the sash attachment bracket works and if it is changeable. I want to buy replacement brackets along with two balance springs and the charging tool.

Thanks

Jim

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210203_183611.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210203_183649.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20210201_120923.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Jim. This might be an S400-30 Spiral Balance. As you can see from the Related Item(s) section on its shop page, this balance can work with a wide variety of different bottom brackets. I think it would be best to check an identical window in the house to determine which, if any, of these brackets are what you need. Let me know if your balances in fact use a different configuration, and send pictures. You can read more about removing and replacing non-tilt spiral balances here.

A quick learner from NIceville Florida says:
Bob,

Thanks for confirming what I thought was the right balance spring. I bought two plus the charging tool. If the brackets turn out to be broken I will buy replacements from you.

Thanks again
Jim
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a non-tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.