Spiral balances

A quick learner from Bixby, OK says:
My tubes are inside a plastic case, and flexible vs rigid. The "spring" case is 28" long, and the tips appear yellow. My lower sash tilts, tops are stationary, and sashes weigh between 19-24 lbs.

These all failed when the top eyelet broke where the screw held them to the channel.

I don't see any numbers on them, and found you after taking them apart. Please lmk what you recommend.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6331.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6332.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6334.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6335.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. It looks like you need new spiral balances for tilt windows. For the length, make sure you're measuring up to but not including the colored tip--that looks to be the case in your photo, and if so, then 28" is the correct length. We also need the diameter, specifically of that plastic outer tube. It should be either 3/8" or 5/8". It's a little tricky with these older spiral balances that used the plastic tube to do this, since they get flimsy--but do your best. If it's 3/8", then you need the S900-28; if it's 5/8", it's the S600-28

Finally, as far as the colored tips--it appears yellow at first glance, but true yellow tip spiral balances are pretty 'loud'--otherwise, they often are just faded colors. The tip color is important because it indicates the weight range the spiral balance can support. Do your best to confirm the exact weight of each window sash that these spiral balances support. You can then match those weights with the weight ranges listed alongside each color tip option under the product descriptions of both the S900-28 and S600-28 shop pages. 

Let me know if you have further questions about any of this. 

The plastic tubes are 29". I measured only the metal portion inside these before. Which is correct? If 29", what balance do I need? TIA.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6337.jpeg
Sorry to be a dunce, but watching your videos it looks like the balances are attached about 1" below my original locations. The lower placement would be much easier to access. Assume that would mean the shorter 28" balance. I don't see any harm in lowering my top connection. Am I missing something?
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hey there! Bob isn't here today but I'll do my best to advise you.

When measuring balance size, you basically want to go from the very top of the tube to the color tip at the bottom; you don't include the color tip in your measurement, you just stop short.

For most balances, you can measure just the outer tube itself and that'll be fine, since those always stop right at the color tip. Looks like your tubes stop a few inches before that, though, which is odd. Either these were altered in some way or it's some manufacturing defect.

Regardless, you want to measure from the very top of the balance to the white tip. That'll give you your length.

As for installing it, we always recommend using the same configuration as your old hardware. Don't worry about what our videos show or how other windows are configured; if your balances have been working fine all these years in their original position, then don't change it. If it ain't broke, and all that.

When you start altering the formula, that's when you start running into problems. You only want to change things when you know for sure that the original installers did something wrong, which, to be fair, does happen from time to time. But if you have no reason to suspect that these balances were installed incorrectly then I'd advise against messing with success.

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.