Spring Maintenance

A quick learner from Ohio says:
Hi I need to replace this piece. Simonton Double Hung. Do these come left and right or are they ambidextrous.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Coil balance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Broken cover
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Label
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Looks like your coil balance cover is cracked. We sell quite a few different sizes and styles, but I'm afraid I don't know exactly what kind you have. Before I can narrow it down, I'll require more information.

To start, I'll need to know the thickness of the spring. This will unfortunately require removing the entire balance assembly from the window so that you can get as accurate a measurement as possible. 

While the assembly is out, I'd also like you to take a clear picture of the pivot shoe for me to review. That will narrow down the list of possible cover replacements even further.

In the meantime, you can see our full selection of coil balance covers here.

Hello, I removed the pivot shoe. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7691.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7692.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7693.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7694.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7695.jpg
Hi, as well as the other items, I also need the weather strip. Here is a piece. Thank you
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7697.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7698.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

These photos are a huge help, thank you for removing them for me! Looks like you have a 3/8" wide spring, which is in use with the 15-199 pivot shoe. With that in mind I suggest using our 15-204 dual coil support. As long as I'm reading your ruler right and the spring is 3/8" then this should work perfectly well in your window.

Concerning the weatherseal, this sample is a little too damaged to accurately ID. The issue here is that the strip it uses to install in the window has torn off, which is an essential detail. Might it be possible to see an undamaged sample?

Weather Strip. Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7704.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7705.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7706.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Perfect! That's exactly what I needed to see. I think our 58-183 may be what you want for this, but you can review our specs to verify. Another possible alternative is our 58-171; the difference is subtle so make sure to go over our dimensions very carefully before you buy anything.

Profile view of 58-183
Profile view of 58-183

Profile diagram of 58-171
Profile diagram of 58-171

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
Identifying Replacement Weatherstripping
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.