Storm door lock

A quick learner from Albany NY says:
I'm starting to have trouble with the key on the outside of this storm door. What part do I need to replace it? Just a spindle or the inner and outside pieces? They clearly were mixed and matched by the previous owner. I need to have a lock/key on this door
Thank you!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named exterior handle and keyed lock
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named interior deadbolt and latch
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named interior deadbolt and latch
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. You could consider the 40-039 or 40-039S for the keyed dead bolt but they won't match your existing hardware. 

Another option is to replace your handle set with the 40-058 or 40-177. Have a look at the specifications and see what you think. 

Thank you so much for the quick response! I think the 40-177 will work, and then everything will finally match! Much appreciated!
My first time using this Q and A, and I'll keep it in mind for future projects.
Profile picture of Emily

I'm very happy I could help. Good luck with the repair; we'll be here if you need anything else! 

I finally had a nice day to work on installing the new lock, and the spindle is so long! (The flat metal spindle for the upper lock, not the square one) I didn't realize it would need to be cut to size. Is there a good way to easily trim it down? Thanks!
Profile picture of Emily

You can use heavy snips but you also want to use the old spindle as a reference point so you don't cut it too much or the part will be useless. I'm afraid there aren't any tricks, you just have to have patience and take your time. I hope this helps.

How to Install a Storm Door Handle with Deadbolt [1080p]
How to Install a Storm Door Handle with Deadbolt [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.