ton of broken windows, mostly NON-tilt, Alum casings

A handy person from Naples FL says:

Djhmservices

Good morning Swisco. Glad I found you. Handyman down in FL with a ton of broken windows, mostly NON-tilt, Alum casings, using the spiral balance. Mine are sheathed in White plastic sleeve for aesthetics. Measures 28", has a red tip and bottom sash does NOT tilt down. I'm not sure how to actually change these out as the balance shoe is mounted to the sash, and sash held into track w/ plastic stoppers/guides, these I can remove. Does the Plastic CAP on top of the sash pop off? I don't want to damage it. I can send pics if that's helpful. So these are NON tilt, with balancer shoe attached to side of sash.

If I remove the plastic window glides (2 each side), I do have some play to possibly pull sash out AFTER I disengage the balancer? If the plastic caps that are attached to the top of the bottom sash popped off, itd be a lot easier to pull out the lower sash as these are alum windows - dont bend as easy as vinyl.

Thx 

Derrick 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0 (5).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0 (4).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0 (3).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0 (2).jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 0.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thank you for reaching out to us, Derrick. These appear to be hurricane-type windows. You are correct regarding the removal: first disengage the balance from the sash bracket, then remove the two 67-002 face guides. Then, remove any window stops at the top of the track and bring the bottom sash up past the balance so the top sash guide clears the balance. Now you should be able to push the sash to one side and swing out the other. If you still don't have enough clearance, you might have to remove the balances. 

I'm happy to help ID your balance but I'll need more information to do so. Can you write out the diameter of the outer tube and the length of the bottom pin on the spiral?

Paul, certainly.

1) Metallic balance/cylinder dia = 3/8". The EXTERIOR White plastic sheath is 1/2" ID
2) Length of PIN that goes thru end of Spiral = 1/2" in length.

Let me know if you need additional info.

TY - Derrick
Profile picture of Paul

Thanks, Derrick. I believe we can help with this though I'll need more information. Can you double-check the diameter of the tube for me? I'm thinking it may be 5/8" but it's hard to say from a photo of a tape measure. Can you also weigh the window sash on a scale and tell me what you get? 

Paul - good morning.

So I trimmed the White plastic sheath/tube back - dia of rod is 3/8", possibly 7/16" MAX - this fits inside the plastic sheath which is 1/2" dia.

And they grommeted the sheath onto the balancer or they're simply made that way by the Mfg.
I may just have to visit a few window companies here in town - see what they know.

I'll get a weight of the sash as requested.

TY - derrick
Profile picture of Paul

Thank you kindly for waiting while we looked into this further, Derrick. This was a bit of a doozy but it looks like the best we can offer are the 3/8" Series 400 or the 5/8" Series 500 though the pin is a bit different on ours. The bracket looks something like the 17-011 which is used with the S500 or the 17-026 which is used with the S400. Note that the brackets are sold separately. We can't make any promises but take a look at the specifications and see what you think. 

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.