Tandem coil spring

A quick learner from Illinois says:
I'm looking for a replacement for my tandem coil spring that has a broken pivot shoe. Stamped on one coil is 6k. The other coil does not have anything stamped on it and the sash weighs 28 pounds. I was looking at possibly replacing it with item S140-14. My concern is that my old coil spring housing has two mounting points and it appears that the S140-14 only has one. Is only one mounting point enough? Is the S140-14 an adequate replacement? The k on the coil is a bit confusing. I've looked all over the internet and can't seem to find much on what the k means after the 6. I'm assuming it's a 6 pound coil in tandem for 12 pounds times 2 would be 24 pounds which would make it slightly under the 28 pound sash weight. Do you guys sell tandem coils for left and right like the one I have pictured?

If I was looking to just replace just the pivot shoe sash carrier would item 15-215 work? My coils do not have a hook at the end. There is only a hole that a screw goes into from the side.

Thanks for the help.

Brian
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6290.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6291.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_6292.jpeg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Brian. This looks more like a 15-177 Pivot Shoe to me. This shoe uses Series 152 Coil Balances. If the sash weighs 24 pounds, use four of the S152-6 6 pound springs, with a pair on each side of the sash. This will equal 12 pounds of support on either side of the sash, for a total support of 24 pounds. These springs attach to the shoe with fasteners like our 33-072. If you need new housing supports for the coils, you can use the newer style 15-143, 15-144 and 15-145 components. These 'sandwich' around each coil spring. Let me know if you have further questions. 

A quick learner from Illinois says:
Thanks for the quick reply! If my sash weighs 28 pounds shouldn't I get the 7lb coil springs item number S152-7? Four of those would equal 28 pounds. It seems like the original coils were a bit under manned. But what do I know ?.

On an unrelated note, do you guys sell/ recommend any certain lubricant?

Thanks,
Brian
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Of course, I'm sorry for misunderstanding your original post. Rereading it I see now that you did say the sash was 28 pounds, not 24. With that in mind, two 7 pound springs per side should be perfectly sufficient. 

As for lubrication, I suggest using silicone spray in the track. I like that more than WD-40 since it's less likely to attract dust and debris, which can clog things up. We don't sell any but you can pick it up at any local hardware store.

How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.