The 82-051 did not work

A quick learner from US says:

Here are the pictures of the old part. I have the button pressed in so you can see the length. Can you find out if they have changed the length of the plug?

If they have, then this part will not work and is not a replacement for the same part. If this is the case, is there any way for me to take the plug out of the old one and replace it in the new one? There is a spring inside. How would I get that out?

Thanks for your help,

Ken

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200714_151757599.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20200714_151815096.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Ken. This looks like a match for our 82-051 foot lock, but as you pointed out, the length of the pin is a lot shorter on ours than on yours. I don't know why the manufacturer changed it, but they did.

The good news is that it's an easy fix. You just have to pack out your keeper to meet the shorter pin. You can use washers, or whatever else is convenient.

A home owner from US says:
This is a picture of my problem. The pin doesn't reach the hole. I can't move it higher to reach as screws would be off the door. Since I'm not a repair person could you explain how in this case I could "pack out the keeper"? Is there any way to remove my old pin from the device that doesn't work and put the longer pin into this one? For making a replacement part they sure have messed me up so far. So far, I have had to return one at my cost and pay shipping for this one which isn't a part that will work. Any help you can give will be much appreciated. Ken
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named lock pin 82051.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, I see. I didn't realize your peg just went into a hole. There's usually a keeper like the 82-053 installed in the door which engages with the lock, instead. With that in mind it looks like installing a 82-053 particularly would solve your problem. 

I don't know of any way to swap pins between these. It may be possible if you're very handy, but I've never tried it myself and I can't say if it's even possible. I would think installing a keeper would be much, much easier.

A home owner from US says:
Since I have no original parts and since someone is too cheap to send screws with 82-053 what screws are needed? I have a very narrow area between the top of the door and the hole above it. I need to know how thick 82-053 is to know if it will clear the door. Could you please help me with these two questions?
Profile picture of Tom

The 82-053 is compatible with a #8 screw like our 33-016P, but I can't say for sure what length you need. That's one detail I won't be able to answer, unfortunately.

As for thickness, the 82-053 is 5/16" top to bottom, as indicated by the dimensions we show on its store page.

How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
How to replace a sliding glass door roller
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.