Trying to ID replacement balances

A quick learner from Boston, MA says:
Hi - we have several older aluminum windows in the house that need replacement balances. The first one has "b A2830" on the side, the other just has "2830" on it. I've attached pics of what the tops and bottoms look like.

Thanks for nay help, I've struggled to figure out the exact replacement balances on my own!

Ben
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230811_104008.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230811_103941.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20231104_114411.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20231104_114405.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Ben. I'm sure we can help, but I need a closer picture of the bottom nylon attachment, in addition to the top. The combination of attachments determine the exact channel balance you need. We should be able to narrow this down for you from there. 

I took the balance for the 2830 channel out of the window, although the plastic attachment at the top cracked when I was trying to get it out of the window. Additional photos attached!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20231108_175737.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20231108_175749.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20231108_175812.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20231108_175825.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20231108_175849.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello there! Bob isn't here today but I'll do my best to advise you.

Looking at these photos, I believe your balance is going to be a match either our S351-29 or S390-29,  depending on the depth of the bottom shoe. That's the only difference between them. I recommend measuring your shoe and referring to our dimensions to confirm the best match. The diagram below will go into more detail.

Looking at your first batch of photos, I also can't help but notice that your window is missing a top sash guide. This is a plastic cap that goes on the top two corners of the sash and keeps the balance in place. If you were to replace your balance today, but not the top sash guide, then there would be nothing holding your balance down. This will have to be addressed before you go any further.

I'll share a video at the end of this post that will go into more detail as to the issue I've described. You can see our full list of top sash guides here. You'll need an old one to use as a reference to find a good match.

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.

Thank you Tom and Bob - well, this is a tough one: I measured the widest parts of the bottom shoe and it looks to my eye like 1 1/16" depth, right in between the two models you list here. Do you have a suggestion for which to order? Or order both and return the one that doesn't fit?

Thank you so much for catching the missing top sash guide - we actually have several windows in the house where this is missing on one side, and the balance is sticking up above the sash. I'll measure our existing sash guides to order those replacement parts as well as replacing the old sticky balances.

My last question: in my initial batch of photos I had two different windows. I'm assuming you're suggesting the same balance replacement for both, even though one had a "b A2830" and the other had just "2830"? (It wouldn't surprise me - they should both be the same height, and clearly the same window model, although they're different widths.)

Thank you so much for all this help!!
Ben
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hello again, Ben. If the shoe depth is between the Series 351 and Series 390, go with the Series 390. Most likely the shoe just wore down from age. So long as the depth is greater than 1", the Series 390 is the most appropriate choice. 

Good question about the balances. Basically, in most cases only a certain portion of the stamp code is important--in this case, that 2830 bit. The other digits and letters are usually just manufacturing info not relevant for the replacement balance. Hope this makes sense. 

Let us know if you have any other questions, especially regarding those Top Sash Guides Tom noted. 

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.