Two Casement Window Crank Handles and Latches

A home owner from Idaho says:
Hello,

I think I need two new crank handles and two latches for our casement windows. Unfortunately, I cannot find any markings but the windows are probably 30 years old. Would the 11/32" crank handle and Snap-on Lever Handle and Cover be appropriate?

Thank you.
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hello there. We likely can help, but there's quite a few different potential replacements that fit your descriptions. Can you send us pictures of the existing window operator, not just the body and handle, but also the arm(s) that push and pull the window sash? A bird's eye view is best. The identity of the operator should tell us what handles and covers you can use. Next, can you send a picture of the window latch in question as well, preferably removed from the window? We'll do our best to ID what you need from there. 

Thanks for your quick response. Other images attached.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Latch No Cover #1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Latch Pieces.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Operator #1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Operator #2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Outside Window #1.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks! These photos are a huge help. Starting with your lock, I think this might be an older version of our 38-095 or 38-096. You'll have to carefully look over our dimensions to verify the better match. If yours differs from these two options in any way, let me know how and we can look into other products.

As for the operator, see our 39-188. I think this looks like a good replacement, but as before make sure to triple check your measurements to make sure.

Alternate measurement of arm
Alternate measurement of arm

Thank you for all of the great information. The current operators are working--can I just order the handles or do I need to order both a new operator and handle?
Profile picture of Bob

Sure, assuming the operator gears aren't stripped out, then you should be fine just replacing the handle. I would recommend the 39-114L, or the 39-205 if you wanted a folding version.

Just note that it's uncommon for the handle to fail before the operator does. That may be something you want to triple check before you place an order.

Thanks, just placed an order!
Profile picture of Bob

Perfect, thank you! We really appreciate the business.

Please feel free to reach out if you had any other questions.

How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
Connecting a casement window operator to stud bracket
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.