Vetter replacement sash lock

A home owner from Lake Bluff, IL says:
Hello,

I have several failed Vetter sash locks that I'd like to replace for white ones. Would your lock #90-320 be the correct part?

Thank you for your help,

Maria McGuire

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Complete window.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Glass code.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window lock.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello, Maria. I agree that the 90-320 is a similar design to your original lock, but I cannot verify it. You will need to compare our dimensions and design to your original lock to determine whether it will fit in the space available. Removing the old lock will make this easier for you.

Dimensions for 90-320
Dimensions for 90-320

A home owner from Marion, MA says:
Hello,
the below sash is the same sash that I have, it is a Vetter Sash. You sugested replacement part 90-320. My question is, do I need to replace the whole sytem, meanning both sides?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named sash 2.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

I think it would be a good idea to replace both sides in this case, yes. Odds are you would be fine just replacing one, but there is a risk that the latch mechanism might have a slightly different shape and therefore it might be an uneven lock. I think it'd be better to play it safe and just replace both.

Please also keep in mind that our 90-320 is a tentative suggestion--the original customer never told us whether it worked or not and we can't guarantee it. Just something to keep in mind as you move forward on this project.

Thank you for your good advise. May I have the part # for the other side so I can order the whole thing?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm sorry for misunderstanding. When you asked if you needed to replace both sides, I thought you meant that your window has two of the same locks on it.

I see now that you may have been referring to the keeper--that is, the bracket that the lock physically latches onto. 

If that's the case, I would need to see a photo of the original removed from the window before I can make a recommendation. Our lock is compatible with quite a few different styles so seeing yours will be necessary. That said, if your original keeper is undamaged then it should be totally fine to reuse it.

Hello and thank you for your advise. I would need to replace the keeper as well as my wood sash lock by Vetter is brown. To that end, may I have the model # that is comparable with item 90-320
Thank you Sir
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for clarifying. As mentioned above, the lock is compatible with many different keeper styles. There is no one corresponding match, unfortunately. In order to narrow down the list of possibilities, I would need a photo of the original.

In the meantime, you can see our 90-282 and 90-307 for two possibilities. These are commonly paired with this lock, but are by no means universal and yours may be a very different style. The only way to know for sure is to review the original.

Hi Tom,
I was able to take the enclosed pictures of the Keepers for your review. Let me know what you would suggest to buy.
Thank you so much for all your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2326.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2327.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

That's a huge help, thank you! Looks like your keeper fits into a very precisely sized cavity, one that contours to its exact shape. That may prove to be a dealbreaker on our part, since the keepers we provide are more general-use parts that are made to adapt to a variety of different doors. The more specific the application, the less confident I am that our hardware will work.

That said, I think our 90-282 is a strong contender after all. It works under the same principles so there's no issue there. The only concern I have is whether or not it's going to fit in that cavity. If not, you may need to go back to the window manufacturer directly.

You can review our product's specs below.

Dimensions for 90-282
Dimensions for 90-282

Alternate view of 90-282
Alternate view of 90-282

Thank you Sir, you are quite the expert of widows and doors and I sincerely appriate your help.
I will order the parts that you suggested as going back to the window manufacturer is not an option as apparently, they are out of business.
Again thank you!
Profile picture of Tom

You're very welcome! I was happy to help, of course. Best of luck on the rest of the project!

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.