What coil balance do I need?

A quick learner from Bay area, California says:
Hi, my coil balance is broken and I need to know what part to replace it with. Can you please help?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220829_140853.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220829_140858.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20220829_140927.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. Your exact pivot shoe for this coil balance system is no longer made, but you should be able to replace it with our 15-177. This shoe, like your old one, uses Series 152 Coil Balances. If you're unsure of what spring weights to select, give us the exact weight of the window sash that these springs support, and I can work it out for you. 

Thank you so much for the quick response Bob. I will weigh the window sash and get back to you shortly.
I weighed my window sash and it weighs 15 lbs. Here are some more pictures of my coil balances I removed. Will I need a new pivot bar?

Also I need to replace my window locks as well. Can you please advise which model I need?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240115_164034.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240115_164049.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240115_163818.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240115_163310.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Thanks! If your sash is 15 pounds then I suggest using our S152-4. These springs carry 4 pounds each, so having two on each side will add up to 16 pounds of support. That's a pound too strong but you won't notice the difference once they're installed. Just make sure to check the 15-177 dimensions to ensure that they all line up with the original. If they differ, let me know and we can work from there.

As for the lock, we sell several that are similar in design but this will also come down to size. Please measure the distance between the two installation holes and tell me what you get; make sure to measure from the center of each hole, not their edges. That will ensure the most accurate measurement. I can then check our stock for a good match.

A quick learner from California says:
Thank you for the info. Would using a S152-8 on each side work? Since each coil can support up to 8lbs or would you still recommend using two S152-4?

As for the window lock. The measurements between screw hole is 2 1/4"
Profile picture of Bob

Sure, using two 8 pound springs per side would be perfectly fine, if you'd prefer that. As long as they're symmetrical and as long as they carry the weight of the sash then you're good to go! 

Concerning the lock, with a hole spacing of 2-1/4", the closest option we have is our 90-180. Your next step should be to check the backset, which is the distance between the center of the holes and the glass-facing edge of the lock. The diagram below will show you what I mean; as long as your backset is the same at 3/8" then I'm very confident this lock will replace the original.

Dimensions for 90-180
Dimensions for 90-180

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.