Window Balance Help

A home owner from Kingsport, TN says:
I'm not sure what I need to replace this part left and right. On one of the springs is Omega #6.3 33", US Pat 5232208. The other spring has a 3 on it. Pictures included.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240419_144036.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240419_144303.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240419_144320.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! We do sell the components to this coil balance assembly, but they're only available separately. They don't come as a kit, unfortunately. Furthermore, our parts differ from yours slightly, but I don't think that will become an issue.

To start, see our 15-111 pivot shoe, then either our 1/2" Series 160 or 3/8" Series 165. The 15-111 is compatible with both sizes, so you'll have to measure your spring to verify the better option.

The spring size will also dictate what size cover you need, so let me know which spring you go with and I can suggest the cover to match it.

Thanks Tom!!! The current springs are 1/2" so I guess I need Series 160 springs. A cover recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

I believe these had two springs per side and the springs have a 3 stamped on them. So do I need to go back with two 3.5 springs per side? Can I use a single 6.5 or 7.5 spring instead? Finally, what's the difference in the normal shoe and the heavy duty shoe?

Thanks.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20240417_191738.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Great! So the Series 160 is compatible with the 15-150D double spring support. This is if you wanted to do two springs per side, but we can definitely play with those numbers.

For instance, if your springs are all stamped with the number 3, and you have four altogether, then that suggest a sash weight of 12 pounds. You could definitely get away with using just one 6.5 spring per side along with the 15-150S single spring support. 

That would give you 13 pounds of total support, which is a little over the sash weight but not the end of the world. You probably won't notice the difference. If you plan on altering how many springs you use, then you may want to get your precise sash weight juts to be 100% sure. 12 pounds is my best estimation but a scale will verify that; and if my estimation is off, you can adjust accordingly.

Lastly, concerning the 15-111 standard shoe vs the 15-191, the 15-191 is made with a more robust plastic that's less prone to cracking. That said, the 15-111 isn't exactly fragile; as long as you keep the window track well lubricated and clean of all debris then you won't have to worry about it breaking on you any time soon.

Thanks Tom. So I weighed the window sash and it came in at 18.5 lbs. I think I want to do singles. Should I get 9 lb or 10 lb springs for each side?

The way the springs connect together for duels and triples kind of concerns me. If I were to use doubles, I guess I could connect both springs to the shoe like it originally was.

Thanks.
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, for an 18.5 sash, using one 9 pound spring per side should be perfectly sufficient.

As for stacking these coils, there's no need to be concerned. That's how they're designed to function. This style of coil spring has been in production for a long time and I've never heard of any issues resulting in the springs being stacked.

All the same, a single 9 pound spring should work fine for your application.

Thanks for all your help Tom. I really appreciate it. I will get this order placed.
Profile picture of Tom

Awesome, thank you! We really appreciate it.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of any further assistance.

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.