Window Balance Shoe

A quick learner from Liverpool, NY says:
Hi. I bought my house two years ago, the house is 23 years old with original windows in it that don't work well. I am trying to replace the window balances and the window balance shoes. The windows don't have a company name on them but are series VS754 and MST 4060. They are single hung vinyl windows approximately 75.5 inches tall and 33 inches wide. I removed the balance from them which is the third picture. Those measure up at 5/8ths in diameter, and are about 37 inches just for the aluminum part (not the telescoping spiral inside of it). I just need to now identify the window balance shoe...which does not look like any picture you have on your website. That is found in pictures 1 and 2. Please reveal the identity of these parts for me. Also, I totally understand how to replace the balance....but the shoe has me baffled. Do you have any videos to show this type of shoe replacement? Thank you so much!

Susan
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1841.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1304.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1303.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in! Your tilt window spiral balances are our S600-37 with a red tip. Although, I would suggest double checking the diameter as well as the length of the metal tube (not including the plastic tip).

To determine the correct pivot shoe replacement, I'll need a bit more information. I'll need to know the thickness of your existing shoe. You'll likely need to remove it from the window channel to obtain this measurement.

For instructions on removing your pivot shoe, take a look at the video below.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Hi. Thank you so much for your help. Ok I can not remove my pivot shoe from my window yet because there are no "cut outs" as referred to in your video. So Im going to need to purchase you 75-069 jam spreaders first. However, I did measure the pivot shoe in the track.....it appears to be 1/2 " deep (about 2 inches in length and approx 3/4 inches wide. Does that sound like any replacement shoe you have??????? I did re-measure the window balance which meaures 37 inches in length (and that does NOT include the red tip).

There are few different pivot shoes we have that come close to the 1/2" thick measurement you are getting. If your believe that to be correct, then our 15-046 should be the replacement you'll need. Although, you may want to be sure to have the pivot shoe removed to confirm with certainty. There are others that come close to the 1/2" thick measurement but are slightly larger.

Alternate image for 15-046
Alternate image for 15-046

Ok.....your jam spreaders did not work so we are doing the cut out method to remove the pivot shoes. In the interim, my next questions are......we have a kitchen window that is a different size....so still a S600 red tip....it is measuring 18 and 15/16 inches long. Does that mean we are ordering a 19 inch window balance?

Also....because we are doing the cut out method, we will need something to cover the hole we are making....plus we have no sash stops in our current window. So we could order some plastic each stops if you know the part number..... the pivot shoe was the 15-046 and it fit....so the sash stop I presume is that same width. Advice on that would be great.

Further, we are going to also need window latches......our windows are tilt windows with latches that are 2 and 5/8 inches long by about 6/16th inches tall and 11/16ths inches wide.......in white....so which latch (part number) are we using for this? You appear to have two different types of tilt window latches.

Susan

Yes, that is correct. It is very likely that your spiral balances measure 19", so you'll need the S600-19 with a red tip.

In regard to the sash stop you are referring to and the window tilt latches, I'll need to see photos of them to recommend the right replacements.

Although, given the measurements you've confirmed from your tilt latches, it is likely that our 26-243 and its opposite handed version part 26-244, may be the replacements you'll need. Take a look over the dimensions below to confirm that these are the latches you'll need.

Alternate view of 26-243
Alternate view of 26-243

Profile view of 26-243
Profile view of 26-243

How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
How to replace a tilt window spiral balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
How to Identify a Replacement Spiral Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
How to choose the proper spiral balance tip color
GUIDE
READ >
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
How to adjust a spiral balance on a tilt window
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.