Replacement Channel Balance

A contractor from Chicago says:
Hello,

Looking to replace these old ballasts. I have 6 windows that have this size ballast. Smaller windows - I can measure but first wanted to figure out the right hardware.

I'm a GC but this is for my own condo.

Thanks,
Nathan
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImageU2wC1C.gif
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us, Nathan. We offer a wide variety of different channel balances that may replace this, but it will ultimately come down to the design and size of the nylon fittings. I can't quite make those out in your photo, though. Would it be possible to see a clearer picture of each one, preferably from a couple different angles? If it's possible to show us one in undamaged condition, that would be ideal.

Another key dimension you'll need is the depth of the bottom fitting. If you imagine it as a shoe, that would be the "heel to toe" measurement. Hopefully that makes sense.

Once I have that information, I'll do my best to find you a good replacement!

Hi,

Honestly how about I send you a few? My expense. I prefer to get this right :)

Let me know

Thanks,
Nathan
Profile picture of Tom

We don't usually accept samples for channel balances, unfortunately. Honestly I'm not sure that would be cost effective in this case; shipping for these can be fairly high, not to mention the time it would take to ship it to us. All you need is to snap a few photos of an undamaged balance and measure the bottom fitting. I'll share a video below that will clarify these points to help you.

Makes sense. See attached. I was able to find some model info on the ballast after sanding a spot down a bit. Lmk if I missed anything.

Thanks,
Nathan
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7198 Small.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7199 Small.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7200 Small.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7201 Small.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7202 Small.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks! These photos are a huge help. Your top fitting here appears to be a very typical design, specifically our 19-002, so that checks out. I'm still not sure what the depth of your bottom fitting is, though. There are basically two options available at this stage: the 1" deep 15-002 and the 1-1/8" deep 15-001. You need to measure your old shoe to verify.

If you have the 1" deep shoe, you can use our S351-33 channel balance. If you have the 1-1/8" deep shoe instead, you want our S390-33 instead.

This stamp is also helpful in determining the calibration of the spring, though there's a bit of an incongruity with yours. The first four numbers, "3250," tells me that your balances are rated to hold a sash weighing 28 through 32 pounds. We have this stamp option for both the S351-33 and S390-33, so it's pretty normal.

However the last two digits imply that your sash in fact weighs 39 pounds, which exceeds the 3250 rating. For that kind of weight you'd want something more like 3265, which carries 35 through 39 pound sash.

It's very odd that a stamp would give such conflicting information. I don't know if that's a misprint or what, but it raised my eyebrows enough that I think you should weigh your sash just to make sure. You can use any common bathroom scale for this, and it's better to be safe than sorry. You never want to guess when it comes to spring calibration.

Regardless of what your sash weight is, we have a chart on both the S351-33 and S390-33 store pages that tells you exactly how much weight each stamp option can support. All you have to do is weigh your sash and check that chart and you're good to go.

I took a picture of the boot and it appears to be 1-1/16" but see attached, maybe wear has caused it to lose 1/16"..

I surmise that the reason these ballasts broke and the smaller windows didn't is because the ballasts are underrated for the windows. But I should weight them to be certain!

Also, I accidentally unsubscribed by clicking the wrong link in the email. There is no option to resubscribe. Can you do that on your end?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7209.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

I agree, if your shoe is 1-1/16" deep then odds are you had the 1-1/8" version, but it simply wore down from constant use. It happens all the time. With this in mind, my top recommendation would be our S390-33.

Your next and final step should be to weigh the sash so you can be 100% sure of what stamp you're getting. You should be good to go after that, but please feel free to reach out if you had any questions!

I'm also sorry to say I don't think I can resubscribe you to this thread from my end. I am sorry for the inconvenience!

Morning, we pulled a window and it was 38.5lbs. Likely they ballasts just gave out over time. Should I get the 3265 or 3270 to be safe? Whats the downside of a beefier ballast? it opens faster? Doesn't stay down?
Profile picture of Tom

At 38.5 pounds, I'd definitely recommend the 3265 option. This carries 35 through 39 pounds so it should be perfect for this application.

You definitely don't want a balance that's too strong. It will open faster, sure, but it will be harder to close and could even open up by itself when you're not even near the window. The goal is to have the upward force provided by the spring balance out with the downward force provided by the weight of the sash and gravity. That's why they call these "balances," after all. 

Ha well touche! Ordering now. Thank you so much for you help!!
Profile picture of Tom

You're very welcome! Thanks for considering us for your business, it means a lot. I'm here to help if you had any other questions about this project. Otherwise, best of luck!

Morning,

Received and they work great! Last question is have is what lubricant is recommended for the springs or other moving parts on the smaller windows that do hold up well but are hard to move? Is this a ballast issue or metal on metal issue you think?

Thanks,
Nathan
Oh boy also these pieces from the window are broken too. So I'd need 12 of them too.. see pics. Hopefully that's it! S
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7258.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7257.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7256.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7255.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Great! I'm glad to hear our balances worked for you.

Concerning the smaller windows, you could try using silicone spray in the track where the balance moves. That might help convince it to move a little easier, plus silicone doesn't attract dirt and debris like WD-40 can. As for lubricating the spring itself, that's something you want to be careful with. You could use white grease but ultimately if the problem is with the spring then it may be time for replacement. In my opinion, lubricate the track first with silicone spray and see how that works. If it's still giving you problems then work from there.

Lastly, concerning this top sash guide, it's not a style that I immediately recognize. Would it be possible to see an undamaged version of it? I'm chiefly interested in seeing it from the front and side. Think of it like a mug shot. Thank you!

Morning,

Four of the small windows do need new ballasts (see pics).

See pics of a fully intact sash guide.

Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7281.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7284.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7283.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7285.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for getting back to us. We don't sell this exact top sash guide, but it reminds me somewhat of our 18-041. I'm not 100% sure but I think this is at least worth considering. Look it over and see what you think.

Detail of 18-041
Detail of 18-041

Profile view of 18-041
Profile view of 18-041

Hi,

Super close. See attached. I put the measurements of what I have in hand in red.. Hopefully you have that sucker! :)
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! I have one last suggestion, but I think this one is much, much closer to your dimensions. See our 18-039, whose specs I'll share below. Note that this is available in both white and black.

Alternate image for 18-039
Alternate image for 18-039

Alternate view of 18-039
Alternate view of 18-039

Side view of 18-039
Side view of 18-039

A quick learner from Chicago says:
Will give those a shot. What about the smaller ballast?
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, I'd be happy to help with any other sizes you need. Scrolling through our conversation, I don't see where we've addressed the specifics for this other size. Is it the same configuration as the other balance? Can you also tell me its metal channel length and stamp?

A quick learner from Chicago says:
Morning,

sorry for the delay. See attached pics of the smaller balances.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImageoeHU1v.gif
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImageheJEuY.gif
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImagerHkjFr.gif
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tempImagecH2BRi.gif
Profile picture of Tom

Sure, so this is more or less the same story. What you have to do now is pick between the Series 390 or Series 351, based on the shoe depth. Assuming this window is identical to the previous one, and differs only in terms of size, then odds are good this is the same Series. You just have to pick the appropriate length and stamp.

How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.