Window balance,

A quick learner from Chandler, AZ says:
These are stamped with 27 (see photo) but do not know how to determine the weight. Here are the pictures. I am looking to purchase 16 of them to replace in a home my son just purchased
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Resized_20240420_145256.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Resized_20240422_084105.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Resized_20240422_084113.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Resized_20240422_082233.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Resized_20240422_082238.jpeg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hey there,

Thanks for reaching out to us! The balances you are searching for are an extended travel channel balance and will need to be custom made assemblies. I'm happy to get the quote made up for you for all (16) of these assemblies but I'll need to confirm a few details before we move forward.

The stamp from the balance is what denotes the weight range a balance should be able to hold. Are you certain that all 16 balances have the same stamp? If not, you'll need to take a look at each stamp from the balances you are looking to replace.

You'll also want to confirm the length of the metal channel, not including the top and bottom attachments.

Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

A quick learner from Chandler, AZ says:
I don't understand the custom made requirement, I am hearing that 27 4 BSI balances are fairly common and I should be able to find them fairly easy for $10 - $15 each.
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

The stamp only denotes the weight range the balance can hold, it cannot tell you the series balance you have. While these are BSI balances, these are not common. 

There are quite a few notable differences between a "standard balance" and an Extended Travel Channel Balance, which is the one you have pictured here.

• The length of the metal on this balance should be 27-5/8". A standard balance is made in whole number increments. The standard balances would not hold up very long in the window given the difference in the travel length.
  • The shoe on the balance is much different than the one installed on a standard balance. Extended Travel Balances have a shoe with a wheel installed directly into them. It also has a much different shape and it has a hook attached to the bottom of it.

It would not be advisable to use a balance different from the one originally installed in the window, however you will need to make that decision. Keep in mind, there is a potential risk for causing irreparable damage to the sash or the window frame.

I hope this helps!

How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.