Window balance coil

A quick learner from Kailua, Hawaii says:
I am trying to figure out what balance coil I need. It has two springs/coils in each one. I don't know how to remove them. Do I need to notch the window frame as in a U tube video?Sorry there is no name on the window. Help!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 92E7EBAE-BB09-4870-AC7E-4FD49B3809B3.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 73CC3E7A-E79D-46DE-B3E9-921FBB2CB355.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 45BE5848-EAD7-48CB-A07A-3310C428AEFE.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 37661D4C-7419-44AE-9BA1-AFA94087EC23.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 48CD63CB-EC63-44C2-B216-B7347B25C4BA.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hey there!

Thank you for your patience during our busy season. Take a look at our 15-087 pivot shoe, which uses the Series 180 coil balances and compare our dimensions to yours to see if this matches what you need. I've also attached some videos below that you might find helpful.

Thanks. I think those will work. What makes the coils break and bend? Should I be doing spring maintenance ie cleaning the spring?It seems that what I need are the S180 springs. There are 2 springs on one side of the window. So one with the shoe and one without. I have 4 windows so I need 16 springs. I think I'll just go with 8 ea 15086 and 8ea 15087.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2A4085DF-4345-4D11-9BF7-1125C013CE30.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 213AEF33-1CA5-4ABC-8850-675B9EBD1932.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

Your coil springs can lose their strength over the years and can wear out from constant use, which makes them prone to breaking or snapping. You can use silicone spray if you want to lubricate. It will keep the track clean, whereas an oil-based lubricant would catch dirt. If your coil housing is undamaged you can reuse it, but if you need a new one see our 15-086. All orders can be placed directly on our website at your convenience as well! 

Thanks Emily, Please review the image below and help me identify the strength of the coil. If, for example, I am using 2 four lb coils on each side, can I replace it with one 8 lb coil? Thanks for all your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named FB5A79EC-6D77-4763-AC28-9D338351093C.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily

It looks like your coil might have the number "4" on it, but I suggest weighing your sash on a scale just to be 100% sure you choose the appropriate spring weight. Get back to me with the exact sash weight and we can work it out from there. 

Emily,
The weight of the sash is 16.2 lbs. Please let me know what you recommend and I will complete my order.
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you! Since you have (2) coils on each side of the window, you'll need a total of (4) S180-4 coil balances. Two of these on each side of the window will support a sash weight of 16 pounds.

Can I use one eight instead of two fours?
Profile picture of Emily

My apologies. Yes! You can use (1) S180-8 on each side, which would support a sash weight of 16 pounds. 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.