Window balance springs

A quick learner says:
I have a house of Pella vinyl windows I installed. From day one, some of the windows wouldn't stay up in sections of their tracks. I took a look at the shoes and springs and the windows that won't hold seem to develop gaps in the springs.

On one window I removed the shoes and springs, cleaned the springs, rewound them to get rid of the gaps and reinstalled them. The windows were unchanged and the gaps returned. I then thought the gaps were forming because the springs were sticking so I put a little WD-40 on them and it improved the situation.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1000003205.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1000003203.jpg
A quick learner from Columbia, MD says:
I checked the windows that won't stay up and they all have gaps in their springs.

All of the ones that do stay up have NO gaps in their springs.

The question is, is the problem the springs or the shoes or both?
Profile picture of Lauren
Lauren from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thank you for posting,

It sounds like the coil springs are worn or damaged. I would recommend removing the full assembly to see if there is any visible damage to the pivot shoe as well.

Please start by reviewing the style style and dimensions of the 15-251 inverted universal single support along with the S160-10 coil spring. This spring can support 10 pounds of weight. Together with the other side, the total window sash weight should be 20 pounds, please compare. 

Measurements of 15-251
Measurements of 15-251

How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.