Window balances

A home owner from Washington says:
My 16 year old home has a handful of these windows that won't stay fully open - see the photo. I'm trying to replace the window balances with newer ones, hoping that this will allow me to fully open the windows.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16844590286464330199539007403404.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16844590490409009810756618963414.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 16844590595423440260116286593158.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

We appreciate you reaching out to us. It appears you have either the Series 351 or Series 390, depending on the depth of the bottom fitting. Measure as shown below to determine the best match. There should also be a stamp imprinted on the metal channel that will indicate what strength option you'll need to select. 

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.

Thanks for the response. The balances are stamped 1340, which I see corresponds to 11 to 12 lb sash weight. However, when I weighed my sash it actually is 15 lb. Would it be safe and make sense to get 1350 to replace these?
Could you also help identify these balances? Rhey seem to be 25.5" long
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230520_030254643.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230520_030259082.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Has your window been working fine this whole time? If it has, you could just stick with the original 1340 stamp. You could also go with the 1350 stamp for a sash weighing 12 to 15 pounds if you feel that the window doesn't operate well with the original stamp. The decision is ultimately yours! 

This window balance in these new photos is different from what you've shown in your initial post, however. What you have here is an extended travel channel balance which is only available by custom order. We can still help but I'll just need a few more details first.

• Can you show us close-up photos of the top and bottom fittings along with the metal hook at the end of the cord? 
  • What is the stamp on the metal channel? 
  • How many of these balances are you looking to replace? 

The metal channel length should also end in a 5/8" increment. Custom orders are nonrefundable so you may want to check just to be safe. 

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.