Window balances broke

A quick learner from Fremont, CA says:
Hi,
My window channel balance springs broke. There is an identical working window in the same room, but the take out clips are gone, so I cannot remove that window to inspect the balances. Please let me know if you need any more info.

Here's what I am able to describe:
- Stamp: 2740H B.S.I.
- length (metal end to end): 27.5"
- 1/2" channel width (measures 9/16")
- non-tilt window
- images of the top guide and show in the attached images
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 06.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 05.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 04.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 02.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 01.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

It looks like you have either our S351-28, with a 15-002 bottom attachment, or S390-28, with a 15-001 bottom attachment. Take a look at the image below to determine which balance you'll need. You'll also need a 2740 spring strength option for your replacement balances. 

Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.
Comparison of the S351 and S390 balance shoes.

If you need new take-out clips as well, I would recommend comparing the specifications of the 16-002 to one of your original clips. Thank you!

Alternate image for 16-002
Alternate image for 16-002

Hi, thanks for your reply!

If my current channel balance is measuring 27.5" (end to end metal), can I use a 28"? Wondering if 0.5" difference matters, or if there is some wiggle room and a 28" will fit and work.

I measured the bottom attach on my current balance, and it is 1", so S351 looks right.

For the take-out clips, mine measures 1 1/4", so looks like 16-002 is right.

Thank you!
Profile picture of Casey

Thank you for your patience as we looked into this for you. The stock 28" balance would not work for your application if your metal channel only measures 27-1/2" long, not including the end fittings, but we can provide them through a custom order. We just sent over a price quote for you to review. Please note that the 16-002 take-out clips are not included in the link but they can be purchased on the same order by adding the to your cart directly from our website. 

Thank you. I see the "CUSTOM - S351-27.5" in the quote. Does that include the end fittings? Just wanted to confirm because they are not written anywhere in the quote.

Understood on the take out clips, I'll add them separately myself to the order.
Profile picture of Casey

Correct, the S351 comes with the 19-002 top and 15-002 bottom fittings shown below. Just let us know if you have any other questions. 

Alternate view of 19-002
Alternate view of 19-002

Detail of 15-002
Detail of 15-002

Thanks for your help. I placed the order for custom balance + take out clips.
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
How to Replace a Broken Take Out Clip
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
How to Replace a Channel Balance Attachment
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.