Window part needed

A handy person from Maryland says:
Hi. I have two windows that need need to be repaired. The same part is broken on both. The windows were manufactured by Reynolds Metals in Baltimore, MD in 1997. I can't send pics of the part uninstalled as I don't want to start the project until I know I can find the exact replacement part but let me know if it can't be identified without removing it and I'll talk to my handyman and figure something out.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Broken part 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Broken part 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Broken part 3.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window Broken part 4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window tag.jpg
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting. This is called a coil balance system. It regulates the movement of the window sash. I am sure we can help, but I am afraid you will indeed need to remove the assembly from the window for us to properly identify it. With rare exception, these coil balance components are used by many different manufacturers, so the only way to confidently identify something is from clear visuals and dimensions. 

Specifically, we'll need you to remove the entire assembly, including the 'pivot shoe' further down the window track that the coil springs attach to and from which the window pivots. The identity of the pivot shoe determines the coil springs you need. We will also need the thickness of the coil springs; it should be either 3/8" or 5/8". Finally, we'll need any stamps on the springs themselves. These are typically found near the 'tongue' of the springs. If there are no stamps, just give us the exact weight of the window sash the coil balances support. A bathroom scale should suffice for this. 

The video below shows how to remove and replace a similar coil balance assembly. Let me know if you have any questions. Once you get us the information explained, we'll do our best to find what you need.

Hi,
Thanks for the quick reply, clear details and helpful video. I was able to get the pieces out of one window (since they are both have the same issue, I didn't remove the pieces from the other one yet) and I have attached photos. Please let me know if the parts are available. I'll need 2 sets of each (left and right sides).
Thanks!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Right Side 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Left Side 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Left Side 2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Left Side 4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Right side 1.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

That's a huge help, thanks! We do supply the parts for this coil balance assembly, though they're sold separately. I'll list them for your convenience.

I feel confident these parts will work for you, but make sure to measure your spring to ensure that it's the same thickness at 1/2". There is another size option that's a little smaller, so if that's what you have then we should be able to accommodate. Note that you will also need the stamp printed on the old spring so that you can select the appropriate weight option.

Please let me know if you had any other questions!

Thanks Bob. I've confirmed the spring is 1/2" and I've attached pics of the only stamp I can find. Can you please confirm the spring p/n? I want to make sure I get it right. Really appreciate your help.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7921.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_7920.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Sure, that would be our S160-05. These carry 5.5 pounds each, which should match yours precisely. That means having two 5.5 pound springs on each side gives you a total weight support of 22 pounds. You can always weigh your sash to confirm that that's right.

One last note: I note that your old stamp says 64", which likely references the travel length; or, in other words, how far it stretches. They don't make springs that long anymore, and our S160-05 only stretches to around 35" to 40". With that in mind you will likely need to install these lower in the frame to make up the difference. Just make sure not to install them where they would interfere with the tilt latch.

Thanks Bob. I've placed my order. I'll be sure to refer to the videos you've provided when I install the pieces.
Thanks again for your help!
Mike
Profile picture of Bob

You're very welcome! Please feel free to reach out if we can be of any further assistance.

Hey Bob. I managed to get the new pieces installed but in the process, I broke the latches that are used to release the sash to lean it in on one sash and the other sash already had a broken one that I didn't know about. Pics are attached. Can you please let me know the parts I need and hopefully you have a video showing how to replace them.
Thanks,
Mike
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8013.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8012.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_8011.jpg
Profile picture of Bob

Hey Mike. These parts are known as tilt latches. Yours in particular appear to match our 26-243 and 26-244. I suggest comparing our dimensions to yours before you buy anything, though, just to be sure. We do also have an installation video on these.

Alternate view of 26-244
Alternate view of 26-244

Profile view of 26-244
Profile view of 26-244

How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
How to Replace a Window Tilt Latch
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
How to Replace Damaged Pivot bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
Styles of Tilt Window Latches
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.