balance inquiry

A quick learner says:
Hello, I have a Viking 20+/- year old window that is missing the window balances. After searching online for advice on how to find out what size balance I should use I found an instructional video that said to measure the size of the exposed glass. I did this and ordered two 20" balances from your company based on the measurement of the dimension of the exposed window glass, which was 20". I put the balances in the window frame correctly, but the window is sloppy so I can only get one of the balances to catch in the window side channel at a time. I need some help determining the proper size or style of balance for this window. I do not have the original balances ... they are long gone. All I can tell you is this is a Viking window. The dimensions are: H 23-1/4" W 27-7/16" D (thickness of the window) 1-1/8" Channel 5/8" exposed glass is 20"x24" with 1-5/8" trim Help please! thank you
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

I see that you purchased the S385-20 channel balances but I'm not sure how you landed on that series without having the original balances. If there is an identical window in the house with intact hardware, I would recommend starting by removing one of the balances to show us photos of. 

You'll also need to weigh the sash with the missing balances to determine the spring strength needed for your replacements. Once we can identify the type of balance that you need, that will help us make an educated guess regarding the channel length needed for your window. Thank you. 

A quick learner says:
I based my selection on the balance options that were available for a Viking window, the size of the window glass (20"), and my recollection of what the balances looked like (they didn't work properly and we disposed of them a couple of years ago thinking that we would just pick up replacements at the local home depot where I think we bought the window originally - big mistake!).
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for getting back to us. There are a few variations that are similar to the S385, such as the S380 channel balance. The only difference would be the depth of the bottom fitting. We also carry the S351 and S390 non-winged balances. Since the differences are very subtle, it is important to see an original balance since determining the length and strength option would still not work if the wrong balance series is being used. 

To get started, we'll need you to confirm if there is another window in the house with intact balances that you can show us to help determine the correct balance series. We'll also still need to confirm the exact weight of the window sash with missing balances to determine the strength option for your replacements. 

Please note that if your window does use balances like the S385, the length would normally correspond to the height of the visible glass height in the sash plus 1", which would correspond to a 21" long in your case. 

A quick learner says:
Thanks for getting back to me. I don't have any other windows in the house that are similar to this Viking window ( all other windows are either old aluminum windows or wood windows). I will take some pictures of the window with a tape measure included and send those to you as soon as I can.

Thanks again,
Julie
A quick learner says:
Hello,

The window's weight is 8 lbs. I have attached measurement photos of the window height and a channel + details for your reference. Hope this helps you determine the correct balances.

Thank you,
Julie
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Glass height
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Sash height
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel length
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Channel width
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Top sash guide
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

We can't make any guarantees but the S385 has been used with Viking windows in the past. Please give us a bit more time to determine the length that would work best for your window. Thank you. 

Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

We appreciate your patience as we researched this for you. Based on your 20" visible glass height in addition to roughly 1/2" of glass that inserts into the sash frame at the top and bottom, that would calculate to 21" total glass height. We would generally add 1" to the glass height as a rule of thumb to determine the channel length for these types of balances. In your case, that would equate to the S385-22 with a 2120 strength option to support a sash between 8-12 lbs. 

If you need new top sash guides as well, see the 18-171 below. Take a look and let us know if you need anything else. 

Alternate view of 18-171
Alternate view of 18-171

Alternate image for 18-171
Alternate image for 18-171

Alternate view of 18-171
Alternate view of 18-171

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
How to Replace a Top Sash Guide [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.