coil balance quote

A quick learner says:
The following is a list of windows I need a parts estimate for.
These are Simonton windows,
I tried looking up the coils, but was informed some of the stampings are no longer available, so I weighed each window.

3 windows 32 lbs each coil stamp 408 short tongue 409 long tongue

1 window 38 lbs. coil stamp 100 short tongue 409 long tongue

2 windows 25 lbs each coil stamp 407 long tongue 407 short tongue

2 windows 21 lbs each coil stamp 406 long tongue 406 short tongue

2 windows 31 lbs each coil stamp 409 long tongue 409 short tongue

2 windows 25 lbs each coil stamp 406 long tongue 406 short tongue

2 windows 22 lbs each

2 windows 18 lbs each

20 Pivot Shoes 15-192

10 Balance Drum 15-157

8 Pivot Pins (see pictures)

8 covers 15-185
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1690.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1404.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_1403.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in! The replacement hardware you've identified could potentially work as a replacement but not without modification. Unfortunately, your existing pivot bar was discontinued and the updated version is not compatible with the Certainteed Pivot Shoe.

Since the Simonton was discontinued, we've found the 15-259 Coil Balance Pivot Shoe to work as a suitable replacement. This shoe should fit well in the track but I would still suggest carefully reviewing and compare the dimensions to confirm.

Dimensions for 15-259
Dimensions for 15-259

The compatible coil balance springs are the Series 159 Coil Balance. You will need to purchase the S159-4, S159-7, S159-8, S159-9, S159-10, and S159-12 coils; each of them are made in "0.5lb" increments. I've listed each coil I would suggest using, in place of the your existing coils, below: 

1. For the 32lb sashes, you'll need 7.5lb and 8.5lb coils.
  2. For the 38lb sash, you'll need to use four of the 9.5lb coils.
  3. For the 25lb sashes, I would suggest using the 12.5lb coils.
  4. For the 21lb sashes, you'll need two of the 10.5lb coils.
  5. For the 31lb sashes, you'll need 7.5lb and 8.5lb coils.
  6. For the 22lb sashes, I would suggest using the 10.5lb coils. These will support exactly 21lbs but will be fine to support the weight of the sash.
  7. For the 18lb sashes, you'll need four of the 4.5lb coils.

This new assembly will use the 26-083, 2-1/2" Pivot Bar. You'll likely also need to purchase the compatible coil balance supports. You'll need the 15-256 3/4" Coil Double Support for the windows that will use two springs on each side and for the windows using one coil on each side (the 21lb, 22lb, and 25lb sashes) you'll need the 15-255 3/4" Coil Single Support. These should be installed using a #8 pan head screw, which is not included. Be sure not to over tighten the screw as this could result in damage to the profile walls.

The video below gives a bit more detail about converting your Simonton coil assemblies to use the 15-259 and its compatible components.

How to replace a Simonton coil balance
How to replace a Simonton coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
Removing Rusted Pivot Bars
VIDEO
WATCH >
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
Replacing the Simonton Coil Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.