converting wooden window into an awning window

A quick learner from Norfolk VA says:
Hi. Have an 80 year old garage with a 2nd floor. I have two awning type windows (they hinge at the top) but do not have the hardware to open and close. I usually prop them open with a block of wood. Can I add this hardware to these windows to make them open?
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Take a look at our 39-037 lever type operator. I have these at home in my sun room awning windows. This operator, along with the 39-170 sash bracket, might be a good choice. 

We also have the crank type 39-143 and 39-324. Take note that I'm not sure how wide your sashes are, so these are educated guesses. We have similar styles but with larger arms on our awning operator page here.

I've also made a list of relevant hardware to these kind of operators. Take note you will need to make up a sill cover at the bottom of the window to go over top the operator, since your windows never came with any to begin with. That may be something you want to see a local professional about.

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

A sill cover is a (usually wooden) bar or plank that lays across the sill to cover up the operator.

A quick learner from Norfolk VA says:
Thanks. I think 39-143 would work. But what is a sill cover?
How to replace an Awning window operator
How to replace an Awning window operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace an Awning Operator
How to Replace an Awning Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
Watch How To Repair A Casement Window Crank Operator
VIDEO
WATCH >
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
SWISCO Window Operator Crank Handles
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.