help identifying replacement parts

A handy person from Maine USA says:

Looking to replace the tilt window balances in my vinyl tilt out windows. The existing balances look like a 5/8, spiral balance. I could not see any color coding or markings to identify. I have weighed the windows and will need hardware for 18, 22, 23 pound windows. Would like to replace the pivot shoes as well, but don't know which model is best. I could not figure a way to remove the pivot shoe, but I have watched your video of "cut out method". I just hate to treat a window that way. Any advice is appreciated. I can provide additional measurements and details as needed. Thank you.

Thomas 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named photo1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named photo2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named photo3.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

It sounds like you may need the 5/8" diameter S600 spiral balances but you will need to measure the length of the housing tubes to choose the correct replacements. Once you know the lengths, we have charts under each product description that show the sash weight ranges supported by each color option. 

How to measure the tube length of the S600 spiral balance.
How to measure the tube length of the S600 spiral balance.

As for your pivot shoe, there's a good chance that we can supply a replacement for that part as well but we will need to see it removed from the window, as well as have you write out the exact width and thickness to compare to our inventory.  We do recommend following the cutout method, which will allow you to make repairs to the balance hardware in the future. 

We also offer the 75-069 jamb spreaders but we generally only recommend them for professionals that do these types of repairs on a regular basis since they are quite expensive and are not able to be returned for a refund. You would also need to be careful not to crack the vinyl of the jamb while using them. Take a look and see which option you'd prefer. 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
Swisco's 15-046 Pivot Lock Shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to adjust a sliding glass door
How to adjust a sliding glass door
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.