looking for aftermarket casement window locks that won't leak

A home owner from Los Angeles says:
Hi, in heavy rain the locks on our milgard casement windows leak via the open space in the lock design. Instead of being channeled down to the weep holes the water hits the locking mechanism first and just takes a ride to the other side (the inside) and onto our window sills. We are hoping you have aftermarket locks that fit the same screw holes and provide a clean seal so water can no longer get inside. These are milgard windows from 2006 or 2007 and obviously a design flaw that they've since corrected on newer versions but Milgard refused to honor their "lifetime warranty" since we are not original purchasers of windows.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named PXL_20230820_160539294.jpg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for posting! Your casement window lock reminds me of either our 38-001 or our 38-005. To determine which of these is the right replacement you'll need to remove your lock from the window. 

Once removed, carefully compare the dimensions from your existing lock to the dimensions of our locks below. See what you think.

Alternate image for 38-001
Alternate image for 38-001

Profile view of 38-005
Profile view of 38-005

Side view of 38-005
Side view of 38-005

A home owner from Los Angeles says:
Thank you, Jasmine!

We actually have a mix. Most of our casement windows have the hard edge style "truth", but a few have the "neutral" softer curved handle. However, for both of these the design itself is an issue for windows that receive heavy rain. They leak because there is no actual seal between the outside and inside, the locking mechanism itself provides a pathway for water to come in. What I'm hoping you have is a replacement not that matches the existing hardware, but something that actually provides water resistance and still fits the opening.

For example this design: https://www.swisco.com/White-Lock/pd/Locks-for-Awning_Casement_Hopper-Windows/38-036
This would seem to prevent water from entering the home when closed, but I don't know if it can actually be swapped out for the same screw holes as the 2-3/8 locks. I am hoping you can advise in this regard...

thanks!

Andrew
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Hi Andrew, 

I'm sorry to say that we would not be able to provide you with a product that will address your specific issue. Our 38-036 would not work as a replacement, at all, unfortunately. The distance between the installation holes for this hardware is 2-1/2", so it would not install properly and it would likely create more room for a leak to occur. The dimensions for the installation hole will need to match your existing hardware.

You may be able to find material to trim to the size of the opening to use as a makeshift gasket at a local hardware store. However, I cannot make any guarantees.

Please let me know if there is anything else I might be able to assist with.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.