mortise lock (83-112)

A quick learner from La Quinta, CA says:
I attempted to install this mortise lock (83-112) for my screen door. However I found out that the lock bumps up against the (4) mounting screws for the door pull. Appears there is only about 1" to 1-1/8" clearance for the lock to slide into the screen door frame. Can you screw right into the lock or do I need to find a lock that is only 1" deep?
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello there!

Thank you for reaching out to us. I'm not sure I understand. Would it be possible for us to see a photo of the problem you're having? 

A quick learner from La Quinta, CA says:
Ok, I have attached a photo. Bottom line is when I insert the lock into the screen door frame, it goes in just fine but due to it's width of 1-1/4", it bumps up into the mounting screws for the screen door handle or pull. The picture that was on the website appeared to have hole that may have been for those screws, but they are not present on the lock. Only alternative would be to screw right into the lock, which I assume is not a good idea.

Is there a lock that is only 1", 1-1/16" or 1-1/8" wide.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

The 83-112 is the only screen door lock we carry that's similar to the one you have. However, you say the screws hit the mortise lock. One idea would be to check with a hardware store in your area to see if you can purchase some shorter handle screws with the same diameter. Another idea would be to file down the tips of the handle screws. You could also use a pop rivet like the 33-006 to install the handles. 

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.