part installation issues

A handy person from North Carolina says:

Good Afternoon,

We have a retail store in Elizabethtown, NC in a building that is decades old. We had issues with the windows so we have ordered parts from your store and the men were here today to install the new parts in my old windows. Of the four windows that we have, two of the windows are working, but two of the windows are not working. They seem to be bottoming out and won't close to the final position.

I am attaching pictures of the following:

• The four windows ? Pic "Windows 6"
  • Bottoming out position for windows #2 and #4 from left to right
  • The original part showing the old part number is the same as what we ordered "old balance part number"
  • The comparison of the new balance with the old spring length
  • The old spring locked into position nearest the end and the new spring locked into position #3

Order #1, part number S395-36, 395 Channel Balance, option 3540

Order #2, part number 18-018 - 5/8" Sash Guide, Howmet

I tried to call the number listed on the customer service help line and they said that your technicians do not come to the phone and I was to email pictures. This was disappointing to do it this way as now the technicians have to be scheduled to come back and the solution or additional communications have to go through me. I am not sure I can convey the problem or the solution properly. If there is any way you can contact the men directly, I think it would be more efficient. 

Thank you.

Mary

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named bottoming out position #2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Old spring position.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named New part spring position.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Old Balance Part Number same as new.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 5.jpg
A handy person from North Carolina says:
Additional images
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named bottoming out position #2.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named spring length comparison.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Window 6.jpg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us, Mary. I'm sorry to hear that you're having issues repairing these windows. Based on your photos and your description of the problem, it sounds like there's not enough travel in the balance cord to allow the window to close all the way. These cords can only extend so far. This is usually a result of installing a balance that's too short in relation to the sash.

That's where I'm a little confused, though: all of your windows appear to be identical in size. There should be no reason why the same size balance isn't working properly in all cases.

One possible explanation is that the cord hook was put in the wrong hole. The way these work is, the hook goes into a slot in the side track and works as a kind of "anchor" for the extension and retraction of the cord. However, some window tracks have more than one slot. It's possible that if you put the hook in the wrong slot, perhaps one at a higher position, that it would result in the cord not having enough travel to close.

Another possible explanation is that there is some obstruction in the track that's hanging up the operation of the channel balance. Note that the S395-36 balance that you purchased has tabs on the top fitting that help stabilize it as it operates, but those wings could also be bumping into something inside that you can't see. You should thoroughly check each track to make sure there is no such obstruction.

Lastly, the only other explanation I can think of is that for whatever reason, these two windows need a different length balance than the other two. Why they might be, I cannot begin to guess, but I've seen stranger things in this industry. You should triple check the size of the original balances to confirm that they are, indeed, 36" long.

As for calling, I'm afraid that is not something I can do. This is a text-only service. Our phone operators can only help with processing orders and returns. For aid like this, I can only help you right here on this page. I apologize for any inconvenience that may cause.

How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
How to Replace a Non-Tilt Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Repair a Jammed Window
How to Repair a Jammed Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
How to Identify Replacement Channel Balances
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
How to replace a non-tilt channel balance
GUIDE
READ >
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
Choosing a Non-tilt Channel Balance: What Will We Need?
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.