part that goes up the side of the casement window that allow

A quick learner from Chadds Ford, Pa says:

The part that goes up the side of the casement window that allows you to lock the window fell down. My name is Pat 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230408_122429.jpg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hi there, Pat.

I'm afraid I don't know what it is that you're describing. Can you show us a photo of the part you're looking to replace? If there's an identical window in the house, we can use that as a reference. 

I took a picture of the entire window which has a stationary window in the middle and two casement windows on either side. I also took a picture of one of the casement windows and that is where the part that allows you to lick the window is located. It is a certainteed window. Thanks Oat
Profile picture of Emily

I'm afraid these photos don't tell me anything new. I can't make out the part in question, unfortunately. Would it be possible for me to see a clear and up close photo of the part you need to replace? 

I cannot get a clear picture because it is attached to the inside side of the window. The part goes almost the entire length of the window. The lock at the bottom of the window latches on to this part to secure it shut and lock the window. Thanks Pat
I have attached two more pictures. The first one I tried to show where the part goes up the outside of the side of the window and how the lock at the bottom attaches. The second is a picture of the lick which attaches to the part that I am looking for. Thanks, Pat
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230510_075849.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_20230510_075929.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you for clarifying, Pat. It sounds like you're looking for a new tie bar. It's hard to say without seeing the whole thing but take a look at the parts we've related for you on this page. Review the specifications and see how they compare with your old tie bar. 

I just measured it and I believe it is the 38.9 tie bar with 2 cone rollers and the tie bar guide looks like the one with the four holes. If I order the parts do you know if it is difficult to replace or do you have any recommendations for having a contractor replace it for me. Thanks Pat
Profile picture of Emily

Great! I'm glad to hear it's a match.

As for replacement, it's not super difficult. You just detach it from the lock and unscrew the guides. That should allow you to pull the bar out and swap it with the new one.

Thank you, you have been so helpful and also saved me a lot of money if this works. Your help us greatly appreciated. Thanks Pat
Profile picture of Emily

You're very welcome, Pat. I'm happy to help! Let me know if I can be of further assistance and best of luck with the repair!

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.