problems getting window to stay in

A professional from Massachusetts says:

problems getting window to stay in, I think the shoe is different. I will attach pictures maybe you can help me. the new one broke trying to get it in and you can still see the old one.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20221018_095935.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230609_144545.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230609_144554.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230609_145305.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230612_152407 (1).jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello,

I see that you purchased the S775-36 channel balance with a 36C strength option, which will support a sash between 22-27 lbs, and a 1-1/4" wide shoe. Could you elaborate on the problem you were having when installing the shoe before it broke? If you suspect that the 1-1/4" wide shoe may be too large, we also offer the 36C strength option with a 1" wide shoe. I would recommend confirming the exact width of an undamaged shoe from one of your original balances to determine if this could be the problem that you're having.

Hi Casey two things I was thinking about sending the old and the new ones back to you to find out what we can use to fix the problem also is your video on installing the shoe on which way it's supposed to aim before you put window back in. Thanks Charlie Also this is the old shoe they look pretty much identical except a little different where the bottom piece on the window fits in
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20230622_113437.jpg
Profile picture of Casey

The shoe of the S775 should face inside the house as shown in our installation guide below. As for your shoe size, I can't tell the exact width since the tape measure is at an angle but it does seem to be more than 1". Unfortunately, we are not currently accepting part samples but I'm not sure that would help regardless since the S775 does appear to be the correct replacement for your old-style rod balance. 

I am still curious as to what exactly caused the shoe to break when you were trying to install it. Did you turn the shoe to install it in the jamb before rotating it to sit in the channel as shown in our guide? If you were trying to install it without rotating the shoe, that could account for why it broke.

I'm also wondering if the shoe broke when you were trying to insert the pivot bar into the shoe when reinstalling the sash. If that is the case, let us know and we can go from there. 

Okay Casey so when I put the shoe in the window and let it go it should stay where I left it until you put the window in and tilt it up correct?
Profile picture of Casey

Correct, the shoe should stay in place as long as it is installed correctly about 2" above the window sill. 

But I get one or two more shoes sent to me I'm sure I could retie them on please let me know thank you
Profile picture of Casey

Unfortunately, the balance shoes are not available separately since they come to us preattached to the balances. We apologize for the inconvenience. 

How to install a S775 balance
How to install a S775 balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.