replace tie rods and locks in casement window

A quick learner from San Diego, CA says:
Need 4 tie rods and 3 locks. No markings on these but operators say Truth. Don't know who the window manufacturer was.
One window is stuck closed with the lock broken (can move handle but nothing else moves). How can I open window to replace the lock?!?!?

More submissions coming.
Many thanks for your help!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tie.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named tie drawing.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named lock pic.jpeg
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in! Your window lock resembles our 38-095 Maxim Multi-Point Lock. Carefully review and compare the dimensions to your existing lock to determine if this is the right fit for your window.

Alternate view of 38-095
Alternate view of 38-095

Alternate view of 38-095
Alternate view of 38-095

In regard to the tie bar, there are (2) different types of tie bars that might work as a replacement for your existing tie bar. To determine which, you'll need to confirm if yours has cone rollers like the 50.9" 38-920 or interlock rollers like the 50.9" 38-972. Carefully compare the design and dimensions to determine which of these is the correct replacement.

Dimensions for 38-920
Dimensions for 38-920

Dimensions for 38-972
Dimensions for 38-972

Thank you, Jasmine, for your reply!
I am not able to see the difference between the interlock and cone roller tie bars in the above photos. I've attached a blowup of the roller part so that you can see which type it most resembles.
Also the video about unlocking a window with a broken handle does not show what to do if the handle is still on there. I assume I should break it off??
Many thanks for all your help!
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named blowup of tie.JPG

Your tie bar guide appears to be one with an interlock roller, part 38-972. The cone roller has a roller in the shape of a cone.

We do not suggest breaking the handle off of the lock. Since the handle is still on the lock, you may be able to manually flip the lock. What you'll do is take a flat putty knife and wedge it between the sash and the frame. Then manually lift the lock. I do want to note that this may not be possible in all windows and will only work from the inside of the home.

If that solution does not work for you, you will need to contact a professional to come out and take a look at the window. It is very likely that this lock will need to be cut from the frame and that is not something we suggest for homeowners to do on their own.

I hope this helps!

Thank you, Jasmine!
I'm glad I asked. I was about to take a pry bar to the lock. I will try your suggestions.
Michele

I'm happy to help! 

Please feel free to reach out with any other questions you may have.

How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
How to Replace a Multi-Point Lock on a Casement Window [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
How to open a casement window that has a broken lock
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.