replacing a OLD tilt window channel balance

A quick learner from RI says:
My house was built in 1993 with Marvin double hung windows that tilt in by virtue of side panels that run top to bottom on each side and must be flattened in to tilt the window. The tilting panel is labelled 320HD.

Do you sell the replacement channel balance for this
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4074.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_4073.jpeg
Profile picture of Emily
Emily from SWISCO responded:

Hello!

Thanks for reaching out to us. It looks like your balance uses a locking terminal shoe like our 15-233 which leads me to believe you have the Series 751. However, I recommend you remove your old shoe to confirm the 15-233 is what you have. If it is, this would have to be a custom order since we don't have a stock balance that uses this shoe. 

Just in case this indeed needs to be a custom order, can you show us a photo of the stamp on the metal channel? And how many balances are you looking to replace? 

Hello,

I took the window apart. As you can see from the pictures, the pulley that connects to the spring broke and doesn't look it can be repaired. Can I replace the whole channel and pulley balance?

The window is Marvin Double hung 36 inches tall over 36 inches tall, 42 inches wide. Installed 1993 when house was built.

I will need to repair two windows, replacing the balances on both sides.

Thanks

Bruce 

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-4373.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-4374.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-4375.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-4376.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-4377.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

Thank you for the additional photos, Bruce! This doesn't need to be a custom order after all, Based on what I see here, you can use the S751-33 ribbed channel balance with the 32HD stamp. For a new s-clip, see the 19-029 or 19-030.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Thanks for the quick response!

As the attached photo shows, the interior trim piece that is holding in my jam liner does NOT have a screw. Should I just try to pry off this piece in order to remove the jam liner? any tips for that?
Or, is it possible to simply remove my old channel balance by prying it out and somehow inserting the new one without sliding it in from the top?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG-4382.jpg
Profile picture of Emily

That's a good question! If your jamb liner does not have a screw-in trim on the interior that holds the jamb in, then there are a few possibilities.

The first is that these are pressure-fit, meaning they're only held in by the sash itself. A lot of Andersen and Pella brand windows work this way and in those cases, you would have to kind of half pry, half shimmy them out of place.

In a worst-case scenario, the jamb liners are not technically meant to be removed. A lot of window types require the installers to drop the jamb into it from above for a permanent installation. Of course, it's not really permanent, but it does complicate your project by quite a bit. You will need to partially disassemble the window frame in order to lift the jamb liner up and out of place.

THanks!!! I will order the new channel balance and see if I can jam it in without removing the whole jam liner. If not, I take apart the window.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Bruce
Profile picture of Emily

No problem, Bruce. We look forward to hearing how the repair goes and will be here to help if you need us! 

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.