sash tension device

A quick learner from NY says:
I have a double-hung (non-tilt) window where the upper sash does not want to stay fully closed. It sags just a bit, leaving a drafty gap at the top of the window.

I assumed it was a worn-out balance, but I am having trouble identifying even the type of the device, and how to remove or replace it.

The gray metal covers in the channel have no identifying marks, nor do the windows. We have similar windows with a Marvin marking elsewhere in the house, but it seems to be an old model.

All I can see of the mechanism is a small device attached to a cord under tension which seems to be fixed in the channel below the sash on the left side. A cord under tension runs down into the device. On the right side, there seems to be a similar device hidden behind the bottom of the sash, and rides up on it.

I assume that the left one is somehow jammed, and is supposed to be up with the sash providing support.

Is this mechanism something you can identify? Am I right that the little mechanism is supposed to travel with the sash? How can I remove and replace the whole thing? Do you offer a replacment?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231106_130425.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 20231106_130412.jpg
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us. Hopefully we can help.

Looking at these photos, you have vinyl jamb liners that utilize the Series 751 ribbed channel balance. You will need to remove these before you can properly identify them, and removal of the balance requires removal of the complete jamb liner.

In your case, the jamb liners are held in with the pressure of the sash. There shouldn't be any screws or anything else holding it in place, though in your particular window I see they have some paint towards the out side of the jamb liner. That's probably keeping it in place. You will need to carefully run a utility knife down along the length to break the jamb liner free from the paint. 

After doing that, you can carefully pull out the jamb liner from the window frame by hand. Being that it's old and made of vinyl, there is a risk of it cracking as you do this. Make sure to be very gentle and try not to force it. We don't sell jamb liners so if it breaks, we won't be able to help you. I recommend spraying soapy water on the window sill to help lubricate its removal. It's a small trick but it works fairly well.

Once the balance is removed, you can take a clear photo of the bottom shoe, stamp, and top end. Knowing the length of the metal channel will also be necessary. With that data, I am confident that we can find you a good match.

How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
How to install a ribbed tilt channel balance with knife lock shoe
VIDEO
WATCH >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.