slider does not lock

A quick learner from CA - California says:
I have an existing slider that doesn't lock, the latch doesn't even come out of the door. I did read online to adjust the latch by turning the adjustment screws, but that didn't do anything. My question is, how do I remove the handle and how do I know if I need a new one? Also, the pics show the lever is as far down as it will go.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named fullsizeoutput_1f0a.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named slider handle latch.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named slider model.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named slider latch.JPG
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Your mortise latch needs to be activated by pushing in that center activator. That will let the locking hooks come out of the door. Try pushing that activator to see if the mortise lock will operate. If it does then the problem could be in the strike plate in the door jamb. Take a look at our 89-042 to see if it's a match. If it does, then consider the 89-043 strike plate cover. 

However if your mortise latch does not operate when you depress the activator then you will need to replace it with the 82-238

To remove your handle you will need to remove the square screw hole covers in the inside handle to access the mounting screws. You can use a small flat blade screw driver to pry off the covers.

A quick learner from CA - California says:
Thank you so much! I did push in activator and the latches did come out. I do have to move the plate because it is off a little. Thanks again for your advice!
A home owner from South Florida says:
Do you carry the square screw covers? I had to pry them off to replace a defective double hook mortise mechanism and they are pretty mangled up.
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

The only square cover we sell in relation to the hardware discussed here is our 89-043, though this is for the keeper, not the mortise. 

If that is not what you were referring to then we will require photos in order to verify if it's something we can supply.

How to maintain a sliding glass door
How to maintain a sliding glass door
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.