storm door hardware

A home owner from Glassboro, NJ says:

Hello. You're my last hope. I don't know who made the door, but it's about 15 years old. In photo #1, this is the entire piece mounted on the inside. The top handle assembly is the problem. Photo #2 is the assembled handle on the door outside. Photo #3 shows the problem. Center top in the latch. Under that hood like part was the return spring that has either broken on became detached. This assembly is what I need. Photo #4 is a side view of the entire assembly. Photo #5 is the side view of the mounted unit.

I hope you have the answer to my problem. I really don't want to replace the whole door. Thank you and have a great day. I am Tom

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5.JPG
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Hey Tom. Fortunately I think we can help. You should be able to replace that inside handle with something like our 40-150. Another option would be to replace the entire setup with something like our 40-058 or 40-177, depending on the finish prefer. Give these options a look and let me know what you think. 

Hi. Ref # D299856

Leaning toward 40-150 right now. Looks like it should fit. However, new development! I was able to obtain some info about the door in question. It was made by EMCO by Andersen. Beneath the bar code on the sticker are the numbers 1006222711. Does this change your recommendation?

Thanks?
Profile picture of Bob

I'm afraid I have no reference for that code in my records, but knowing that it's EMCO is very helpful. I've personally used the 40-150 on many, many EMCO doors in the past. I feel very confident that it will be compatible with your original hardware, the only thing you'd have to keep an eye on is how well it lines up with the existing keeper. I've had scenarios where I had to pack out either the handle or the keeper to meet each other when using the 40-150 on EMCO doors. I usually just use washers to shim either one up.

Thank you Bob. I'll place the order tonight.
Profile picture of Bob

Perfect, thank you! We really appreciate the order.

Please feel free to reach out if we can be of any further assistance.

Hi Bob. 

The 40-150 look like it will work. Just one problem. I need the 5/16" spindle to mate with the outside handle, but the 5/16" spindle from the old handle won't come out. It has a pin holding the spindle to the old handle. I tried using a punch but the pin would not budge. I could probably cut the spindle with a saw, but then the spindle would be too short I think. Does SWISCO see the spindle?

Thanks

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

I don't recommend that you cut the spindle off of the old handle. What I have done in the past was to take apart the old inside handle piece by piece until I could remove that small pin, which let me slide out the spindle. It's a little bit of work, but it can be done and it will make sure that the new spindle will work properly with the new setup. Just note that you might need to use a small center punch to tap out that small pin.

Thanks, I'll try again. I did use a center punch but the pin would not budge. Maybe I can drill the pin out. I'll assume that SWISCO does not sell the spindle.

Thanks again,

Tom

Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

We unfortunately do not sell the spindle by itself, no. I'm sorry for not mentioning that earlier. Reusing the original is definitely going to be your best bet.

Thanks. I appreciate your help.
SWISCO Quick-Fix! 40-150 Spindle Replacement
SWISCO Quick-Fix! 40-150 Spindle Replacement
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
How to flip a storm door mortise latch.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Storm Door Handle with Deadbolt [1080p]
How to Install a Storm Door Handle with Deadbolt [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.