unknown manufacturer

A landlord from SHARON says:
Need replacement for 2 hinges and one window opener
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2307.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2308.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for reaching out to us! Both your lock and operator are older styles that are no longer made, but the good news is that we carry modern alternatives that should work the same way with little to no adaptation.

Starting with the lock, yours is replaced by our modern 38-097 and 38-098. The only catch is that these won't be compatible with your existing keeper, so that will also need to be replaced with our 38-079.

For the operator, I feel confident that we have a good match for this, too, but I need to see a photo of the complete mechanism removed from the window. That way I can see the whole thing without obstruction. Please let me know if that would be possible and we can work from there!

Here are the pictures. I hope that you can figure out from them. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it very much.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2321.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2320.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2319.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

I'm afraid these photos don't tell me anything new. As mentioned in my previous response, I need to see this operator removed from the window so that I can see the whole thing in one shot. Would that be possible?

I will have to take a look again on Monday, not sure if I would need to take apart the window to do so. Can I replace with a generic one? I don't care if it matches.
Profile picture of Tom

They unfortunately don't make generic operators. These are specific parts made for specific applications. You either need an exact match, or more than likely, a modern version of the original; just eyeballing your photos I can tell that it's an old style that has almost certainly been updated within the last decade or so.

The screws appear to be freely accessible, so you shouldn't have to take the window apart to access it. Once the screws are removed and the arm is disengaged from the track it should just come right out.

Unfortunately, this screws were stripped, and I was unable to take the molding out to remove the part. These are the best pictures I could get. The other window is missing the part completely, but I see an outline of where it used to be. In our other house, they were replaced with newer ones which I've enclosed the picture.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2345.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2346.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2347.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named IMG_2348.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Thanks for making the attempt. Based on what I see here, I think our best option may be the 39-013. This appears to be a modern equivalent of your original part, but there are two main details to consider:

1. You will need to measure the length of the arm as shown in the diagram below to verify that they align.
  2. You need to check the bearing at the end of the arm to see if it's the same style as shown below. That is to say, a thicker nylon wheel (as opposed to a flat metal wheel, which is the other possibility)

Assuming that those two details match up then I feel confident that our 39-013 will be the best option for your window.

Anatomy of a casement window
Anatomy of a casement window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to identify casement and awning operators
How to identify casement and awning operators
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.