window balance

A landlord from clinton iowa says:
I need balances for upper and lower sash. I think the windows are jeld wed but not positive
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named T-Lock Shoe
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Cross-Bow Assembly
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Block & Tackle Balance
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Cross-bow Channel Balance
Profile picture of Jasmine
Jasmine from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for writing in! Your channel balances are a discontinued Crossbow, block and tackle balance. To replace these balances, you may potentially be able to use the Series 795 Channel Balance.

To determine if these will be a suitable replacement for your balances, I'll need to confirm a few details about your balances and the sash. I'll need to know the length of an undamaged balance as well as the diameter of the spring. The diameter is likely to be 1/2", however there is a chance it could be 3/8"; if so, please let me know as you'll need custom assemblies for your replacements.

Please also confirm the width of the bottom T-shaped attachment (it will either be 1" or 1-1/4" across the bottom of the T shape) as well as the exact weight of each window. We'll need this to select the correct stamp option.

Take a look at the video below for instructions on this balance conversion and the information you'll need to determine the correct balances. Let me know if you have any questions.

The balance for the upper window is 27" and the lower window is 57". The sash weights 10.2 lbs 

The T attachment is 1"The spring is 1/2"

Thanks for confirming this information. Although, I'd just like to confirm a few things before we can move forward, especially since a 57" balance would be a custom made assembly. It isn't unheard of but we do not see an upper and lower sash with such a large gap in measurements for balance lengths.

To start, when obtaining the lengths of each balance, did you do so using an undamaged balance? If the balance was unraveled and the inner spring was sticking out from the balance, that would not be an accurate length.

I would also like to confirm that you obtained the weight of the sash for both sashes. A sash with a 57" balance should be much heavier than a sash for a 27" balance. There would be more material used for the frame of the sash and the glass pane is a lot larger.

It is important to double check this information, especially for the custom 57" balances; custom assemblies are non-refundable and cannot be returned.

Please let me know if you have any questions in the meantime.

The upper sash is 22x29.5 inches the lower sash is 22.75x30

The upper balance measures 27" from were it screws in at the top to the bottom of the T attachment The balance also measures 27"

The lower balance measures 57" from the top screw to the bottom of the T The ba;ances are destroyed but I believe this is a valid way of measursing since the upper balance measured the same both ways

also the balance has to be over twice as lone because the T attachment is at the bottom oa the window

Unfortunately, that is not a valid way of measuring the balances. The 57" length is not proportionate to the size of the window you've confirmed; it would be way too long for the channel.

The T-Lock Shoe does not determine the length the balance channel should be. The balance string is anchored at the top of the window frame. It allows the string to extend from and retract back into the balance so that the channel can travel up and down the sash.

That said, you'll need to obtain the length of an undamaged, for us to make an accurate recommendation. If you cannot provide an accurate measurement of an undamaged balance, I'll need to know the measurement for the height of the visible glass of the sash that balance is used to hold.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

sorry but i can't remember if i sent this or not
The balances are 27 and 29 inches

Thanks for confirming this information. The balances you'll need are the S795-27 with a 27A stamp option (which can support a sash weighing 6 to 11lbs) and the S795-29 with a 29A stamp option (which can support a sash weighing 7 to 12lbs). You'll want to be absolutely sure that both sashes weigh 10.2lbs.

The shoe you'll need is the 15-194 1" T-Lock Balance Shoe, which is sold separately. The balances come assembled with the 15-195 1-1/4" Closed Cam T-Lock Shoe, so I've included a video tutorial below so that you can swap out the shoes once you've received the assemblies.

How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
How to Convert a Crossbow Balance to a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
How to Install a T-Lock Shoe on a Channel Balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
How to install the 26-200 Screw Plug
VIDEO
WATCH >
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
Modifying the Series 795 Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
Classifying Channel Balance Fittings
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.