door closer question

A handy person from Missouri says:
I purchased a 40-079 door closer from Swisco to replace a worn out S-B Manufacturing Storm King Model 105. Installation was easy and thankfully you offer this product as it resembles the design of the old closer. However, I have a problem with just the last few inches of door travel (see attached video), because it stops retarding and then closes with a bang. Turning the adjusting screw all the way in slows the closing but does not alter the final retardation. I realize you'll notice that I haven't installed the last two retaining screws on the jamb, deciding not to drill the holes quite yet if I can't get this one to work. I bought two of these, just in case, as I have another storm door with another original Storm King that still operates. I believe they both are 60+ years old but the one that is still doing its job has had much less frequency of use.
Do you know a solution for my problem?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Oldfield 4.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Oldfield 3.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named Oldfield 2.jpg
Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hello, thank you for writing in. I'm going to have one of our senior experts take a look at this and see if we can resolve your issue. We will be in touch shortly! 

Profile picture of Casey
Casey from SWISCO responded:

Hi there. Thank you for your patience. We have found that correctly locating the storm door bracket is very important. The trick is to use the 40-045, our Storm Door Hold Open Washer, to find the correct location for the bracket. You may not be able to re-use your old hole locations as our 40-079 might be a slightly different length than your original part.  Take a look at the video below, along with the other associated videos, and see if they can assist you in this matter. 

How to Replace a Storm Door Closer
How to Replace a Storm Door Closer
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Door Closer with Drop-Pin Attachment [1080p]
How to Install a Door Closer with Drop-Pin Attachment [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Install a Door Closer [1080p]
How to Install a Door Closer [1080p]
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.