door handle troubles

A quick learner from AZ says:

I am having problems with a door handle. The door is part of a metalmark"systems" add on like a sun porch built perhaps 30 years ago. It is basically a heavy screen door with an interior layper of flexible plastic. The i Dow are stacking snd also vinyl. At any rate the door lock sticks Nd I fear someone could be tried inside. 

It is a keyed lock. . The mechanism in the lock appears to work fine snd does so using the key from the outside. The problem comes in exiting. Th latch pin speaks to move freely on its own but when th latch is engaged the pin does not release and one has to place two fingers one on the top snd one on the bottom pressing I the pin toward the door from for it to open. 

I has e had both handymen and locksmith look,a it Nd they just shake their heads. I hav v coniderd replacing the door but thst s not sn option due to the Matler framing. I have taken several photos snd tried to take a video hoeing the iss u..I don't hav enough hands to do thst well. 

I will be happy to send phot if I know how to address them. You folks very very helpful to me inreplscing one other problematic lock a couple of years ago and I trust you vpcsn help me now.

Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image0.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image2.jpeg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named image3.jpeg
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Looking at you photos I believe the inside of your storm door latch (40-051) is catching onto the door stop just in front of your storm door keeper (40-081). Have you replaced your storm door latch in recent years? 

One other thought would be that your storm door has sagged. I believe you need to use an inside handle like the 40-117 which might just catch on the door stop with no need for a keeper. If you do need a keeper I would suggest using the 40-081. I have a feeling that your existing inside handle is catching onto that door stop metal angle shown in your photos.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 4-7 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at 856-317-6263 or at help@swisco.com.