ellison windows

A quick learner from Burlington NC says:
The coil spring broke in two pieces on the left side. I'd like to replace both sides at this point, as both sides show wear.
I need to replace both coils, both shoes, and both of the brown unit above the coil.
The window was manufactured on 3/24/09. "MOD 267. SH 01.
The bottom sash is 30 7/8" x 16 1/2"
Shoe is 1" w x 1 3/8" long x 9/16" deep.
Can you identify?

Don
Profile picture of Bob
Bob from SWISCO responded:

Thanks for contacting SWISCO. I think we can help you replace the coil springs; but the best way to do this is to identify the pivot shoe they attach to. Could you remove the pivot shoe from your window, take a picture of it, and provide the width and thickness? Identifying the pivot shoe lets us in turn identify the coil springs you need. If you need help removing your pivot shoe check out the method below. Thanks.

Hi Bob

foot is 17/32" deep x 1 7/32" wide ( or 1/2" x 1 3/16")

thanks

Profile picture of Bob

Well, I couldn't find an exact match for this pivot shoe but it is similar in size and design to our 15-228. Look it over and see if you agree. 

If so, then this shoe is compatible with our Series 160 coil spring. This is a 1/2" thick spring with a "T" at the end of the coil. You'll need the stamp on the old springs to confirm the best option. 

Let me know what you think!

stamp on original coil spring is an 'S'

thanks
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:

Greetings. We believe the "S" represents the number 5, so use the S160-5 Coil Spring along with the 15-228 Pivot Shoe. You can double check this weighing your window sash on a bathroom scale. It should read approximately 10 lbs.

I'd also like to replace 2 of these
Profile picture of Bob

We couldn't find your exact support, but take a look at the 15-150S. It is compatible with the springs we recommended. Take a look and see what you think.

Does the coil spring attach to this?? Is there a picture of the spring installed between this piece and the shoe?

Don
Profile picture of Bob

The coil spring is cradled inside the 15-150S; hence, it 'houses' the spring and acts as a support and cover. Let us know if you have any other questions!

A home owner from Burlington NC says:
Hello, I have installed these S160-5 items to my window, but now the sash closes slowly all by itself, as if the spring isn't strong enough. The Sash weighs 10 lbs

Any way to dis this?
Profile picture of Paul
Paul from SWISCO responded:

Hm, that is rather unusual. Two 5 pound springs should certainly be good for a 10 pound sash. If it's still too weak, I would double check the sash weight just to be safe. You also could go up to a 6 pound spring, for a 12 pound sash, but keep in mind you don't want the coils to be too strong either. 

How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to replace a window coil balance
How to replace a window coil balance
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
How to Replace a Triple Coil Balance System
VIDEO
WATCH >
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
Removing a Triple Coil Window Balance
GUIDE
READ >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.