encasement window hardware KK

A home owner from San Diego, CA says:
We can open window, but when attempting to close hardware pushes back into room. As shown in IMAG0414.jpg, screw freely comes out of hardware. I think something broke that clips/clamps/attaches the screw to the housing it is mounted in. (Luckily we can close window by having one person gently push on window from outside while second person gently screws window shut, but not really usable.)

What do we need to fix?

Matt
encasement window hardware KK
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:
Looks like the worm gear is stripped out. This cannot be repaired or fixed, you will need an all new operator. We can help, but we will need to see a picture that shows the operator in its entirety.
A home owner from San Diego, CA says:
not sure exactly what you mean by the "operator". I have attached a few pictures, including one picture of a working window (see written notes in pictures). Hopefully one of these shows what you need to know. If not, please give more description. Thanks!
Matt
Operator
Profile picture of Tom
The operator is the whole mechanism that opens and closes the window. Right now your pictures are only showing the base. When you turn the crank handle, the gears on the base turn, which then push the arms forward, which opens the window. I need to see those arms in order to identify what you have. See the video below, this should give you a good idea of how these work.
A home owner from San Diego says:
Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. included are some pictures from the outside showing the mechanism. Two of the pieces of metal have some identifying markings, so zoomed in on those. It is not possible to get a good picture of the gears and inner workings without ripping the windowsill apart. hopefully this will be enough. let me know.

thanks

Matt
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
Look at the 39-032 operator. See if it is the operator you are looking for, and see if it matches up to your old one. Also, while doing the repair, you might want to replace the hinges with the stainless steel version 36-013-10.
A home owner from San Diego says:
Okay. I've repainted and weatherstripped the windows and am ready to replace the operator. Putting in order for parts. However, while working with the windows noticed the following:

1. actually missing a couple of the sliding clips. (picture attached). do you sell those as well?

2. the lower bar (circled in red in attached pictures) is very rusted and still. does not move well at all. does part 36-013-10 include that part as well? or is that a separate part?

thanks!

Matt W
User submitted photos of a window operator.
Profile picture of Tom
Yes, the circled arm is part of the hinge. If you watch our video on the 36-013-10, you should get a better idea of how this looks both on and off the window.
As for that clip, I'm not sure if we can replace it. It's an old style. Our newer style 39-105 may work but I'm not sure.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)