hardware for marvin casement window

A quick learner from Minnesota says:
Hi there,

I have a casement window that's no longer closing properly, and I'm hoping you can help me sort out the right part(s) to fix it. There's a part near the crank at the bottom where something is visibly off, though it's not clear what the cause was (for all I know, a bear might have climbed onto the window and pulled it off the track). I'd be interested in your advice on what to replace for the part that's clearly broken, and if your experience tells you that something else is off, it would be great to know that, too.

It's a 24" x 68" casement window by Marvin, installed around the year 2000. The first two photos show the same part, with one close-up photo with the problem circled, and one zoomed-out photo to show the context. The problem is when the window cranks open, the little black piece pulls off the track because the metal clip on the end is bent and doesn't stay in the track. Then when we go to close the window, I guess the metal piece doesn't go back into the track, and the left side of the hinge arm ends up digging into the wood frame on the left as you try to close the window all the way. You can kind of see that in the third photo, which shows the crank mechanism with a tape measure to help give a sense of scale. (The third photo also shows the manufacturer info on the window glass, which says "ICA Integrity/Marvin".)

That left bottom part of the window gets pushed out toward the outside when the window closes far enough to lock, so the window doesn't seal fully unless you push on it from the outside. There's no visible damage anywhere else on the window, and I can't see any warping or broken parts on the hardware at the top, but I have very little experience working with casement windows, so I may be missing something. Photos 4 and 5 show the hardware at the top, in case it's helpful to see.

I wish I could find a pro to fix this, but we're out in the middle of nowhere, and nobody seems interested in such a small job, so I guess this means I'm going to have to learn how to fix it. I'd really appreciate any suggestions on the part(s) I'd need to repair the issue at the bottom, and anything else that jumps out at you.

Thanks so much!
Cael
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 1. Zoomed-out.PNG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 2. Zoomed-in, problem circled.png
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 3. Crank with tape measure.PNG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 4. top hardware (1).PNG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 5. top hardware (2).PNG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

Hello! Sounds like you're having issues with your casement window hinges. That little black side is a very common point of failure for these, and when they break (or just wear out a little too thin) then they experience the exact problem you described. Opening the window causes that guide to slip out of place, which makes the whole operation crooked or even non-functional.

Now, we don't sell this exact hinge style, but I am very confident that you can use our 36-048 set as a substitute as long as you replace the top and bottom at the same time. That will guarantee a symmetrical operation.

We also have a DIY video that you may find helpful. You can see it below.

Please let me know if you had any other questions! I'm happy to assist in any way that I can.

How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
How to Replace a 2-Bar Hinge Set on a Casement Window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.