hardware suitability question

A handy person from Northfield, MN says:
Hello --

I am completing a new, wooden-framed screen enclosure on the porch of our 1885 house, which includes an in-swinging door, 1-1/8" thick and mounted flush with the inside face of the 2x4" jambs. The vertical stile on the latch edge of this door has a face width of 1-9/16". My question is this: I believe Swisco's 40-028 In-Swinging Door Handle Set would be perfect for this application, but would like to know what you think. And I hope you can inform me of two of this hardware set's dimensions: the setback from the door edge and the width of the rectangular plates in which the spindle of the handles turns.

Thanks in advance for your timely feedback about this!
Profile picture of Dave Sr.
Dave Sr. from SWISCO responded:
The 40-028 is okay, but it is normally used for aluminum type storm doors. I would rather you use the 40-096 Mortise Door Lock Set, which is normally used on wood screen doors. Wood screen door manufacturers use it most of the time on their doors. The 40-096 can be used to swing out or in-- it is a mortise lock. It's important to take note, when having a screen door swing into a screen room or an enclosed porch area, the door could drag on the floor as it swings into the room. To solve this problem, install a threshold under the screen door. That way you can shorten the door so it won't drag.
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)