hinged spiral clip

A home owner from USA says:
I have balances with this clip, but I don't see it on your website.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named JohnJJ.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

I'm afraid they don't make this kind of balance anymore. Fortunately, we have a couple parts that could still work. Can you tell me what the diameter of the balance's outer tube is? If it's 5/8", then you can use our Series 500 along with a bottom bracket like our 17-007 or 17-012; whichever is the better match for the original design. Look these parts over and let me know what you think.

Fantastic! You guys are great, other websites just left me with a few images to select from, with no verbal assistance.

The tube size is 5/8 inch, and the most appropriate clip is 17-012. I'd like to test repair on the smallest windows lower sash. It is 20 inch from top of the bottom sash to the top of the aluminum inserts in the wood frame. Any suggestions on the part number for both sides?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 7295617A-F343-4509-8CC2-15B37F7FAC7C.jpeg
The spiral spring attachment mechanism to the window frame on my installation is a simple nail thru the spring and into the frame. When I put the new springs in, to avoid using the same hole in the frame, is there a special connector that can be mounted to the frame, providing a more secure mounting?
Profile picture of Tom

I'm glad you hear you're happy with our assistance! We do our best.

Regarding  your balance size, can you give me the height of the visible glass? I know it seems a little awkward, but that's the measurement we use to determine the precise size of the balance tube. It also looks like this is for the top sash, not the bottom. Can you confirm? That will be an important factor in our math.

As for installing this in the track, we don't have a special connector per se. I think it will be fine to simply drill a new hole in the track to use a screw; for the Series 500, we recommend something like our 33-016.

Come to think of it, the position of this new hole will also effect the previously mentioned math while we determine length. Just for the sake of clarity, where will you be putting this new hole? Would it be fair to say that it will be 1" lower than the original hole?

The visible glass is a total of 17 7/8 inch, comprised of two individual panes of glass separated by a piece of wood which runs horizontally on each sash.

The number 8 screw you recommend will fit tight in the existing hole, so we won't need to compensate for it.

As I am trying this on the smallest of my window type I'd like to by the 4 springs with related hardware, just to see how it goes.

Regarding the location of the spring in the picture: I don't know. Over the years I've taken out both a top spring and a bottom spring, and I can't recall which is which.

As a side note, when I've tried to attach an image, there has been no simple way of navigating back to the text screen and press the submit button. I've lost the text and images several times during the process and had to start over. I'm using an iPhone X, and it may be peculiar to that interface.

Other than that, I think your service is perfect, don't change a thing.

John j
Profile picture of Tom

Thank you! Based on that visible glass height of 17-7/8", we recommend our S500-19 for the top sash and our S500-21 for the bottom sash. I think that will do for your window.

And thank you for your input regarding our site, I will definitely forward this to our tech guys and see what they can do about it.

The balance for sash is in a rigid tube. Due to the combined geometries of the channel in the sash, fixed slope on the bottom of the installed window (sill). The balance is not able to slide into the sash channel. While waiting for your reply, I'll try the shorter balance assembly (19 inch vs 22 inch)
Oh! I see that the shorter balance,prevents the window from closing. As my options: I can try cutting the longer tube, exposing the flexible spiral, and gently bending it to compensate for the geometry of the sash and sill, to insert into the balance into the channel; I could use the shorter balance, and attach it to a point lower on the fixed part of the aluminum frame to compensate for shorter balance, not allowing the window to fully open.

If you have a better option I'd appreciate it as cutting the tube (properly) is easier said than done. I'd really like to open the window fully because the air conditioners I have just clear top to bottom.

Thanks John j
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named 32F489D6-AE44-46FC-A7C2-A5E3A39FEEAD.jpeg
Profile picture of Tom

Ah, I see the issue. I wouldn't recommend cutting the longer tube. If the sash won't allow you to install the longer balance, you can try the shorter balance and just redrill it's installation hole to be lower in the track to make up the difference. The flip side of that is that you won't be able to open your window as much, but I think it will be better than trying to alter a longer balance to fit. Let me know what you think.

Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)