need replacement balances

A quick learner from Collingswood NJ says:
I bought these vinyl window from Window Factory in Haddon Heights many years ago - they are no longer in business- the guy who bought the name is not honoring the life time guarantee. These are 28 in for the bottom windows (they were tilt-ins if it matters). As you see, there was no metal encasement. The bottom sliding plastic latches in the widow channel are still OK to hook into.

I tried buying a generic replacement but it is too big with the metal sides. Do you sell this or anything that would be a replacement. I need 14 of them.
If not, any suggestions short of replacing the entire window?

Thank you.
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window balance 1.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window balance 2.JPG
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window balance 3 -28 in.JPG
Profile picture of Tom
Tom from SWISCO responded:

You have old rod-type balances, which aren't made anymore. The good news is that we have modern balances that work just as well. Before I recommend one of those, though, I need to figure out which rod balance you have. There were, at the time, 3 varieties. Do you have an undamaged version that we can see? I specifically need to see the shoe at the bottom.

Once I see that, I am very confident that we can get you a balance that will work perfectly well in your window.

Thanks for the response. Do these picture provide enough information?
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window balance 4.jpg
Thumbnail of the uploaded file named window balance 5.jpg
Profile picture of Tom

Yes, I think I can work with this. The pivot shoe is commonly used with balances that have a 15-043 terminal clip at the end of the cord. You should check the clip at the end of yours to confirm that it's the same.

If it is, then you can use our Series 770 channel balance as a replacement. 

You will need an undamaged version of your balance to measure to determine length. That won't be possible with a broken part. You will also need to weigh your sash on a scale to confirm the best Series 770 stamp option, which indicates spring calibration. Let me know if you had any questions regarding these points.

I tried a generic replacement from home depot that was very similar except for the clip into the shoe (which I was able to bend to make it fit). The issues was that the metal sides were too wide so that the cover would not fit back over the balance and the window would not slide.It was also 9/16th so I think this wont work. Is there one with smaller side? The fact that there was not a metal side on the old one left enough room for it. Any thoughts?
Profile picture of Tom

Unfortunately, there is not a smaller version of the Series 770. This is, to our knowledge, the only balance that exists that can replace your old one. If this won't work for your window, we have nothing else that will. You would have to see if you can find a store near you that still sells the old style, though these have been discontinued for a long time so I'm not sure if that's going to be easy. 

I apologize for the inconvenience.

How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
How to replace a tilt-window channel balance.
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
How to Remove a Pivot Shoe (Cutout Method)
VIDEO
WATCH >
How to remove window pivot shoes
How to remove window pivot shoes
VIDEO
WATCH >
Anatomy of a tilt window
Anatomy of a tilt window
VIDEO
WATCH >
Reply to Thread
Use this form to ask a follow-up question or to share your experience regarding this subject.
(your email address will be kept private and is only used to inform you when a response has been made)
Current wait time is 3-4 business days
We promise that one of our experts will personally get back to you as soon as they are able. Thank you very much for your patience and understanding. If your inquiry is time-sensitive, please feel free to reach us at (888) 991-1929 or at help@swisco.com.